Mozilla shuns Google, signs five-year deal to make Yahoo the default search engine in Firefox

By Shawn Knight
Nov 19, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Mozilla's long-running relationship with Google has come to an end. The browser maker on Wednesday announced a strategic five-year partnership with Yahoo in which the Internet pioneer's search engine will replace Google as the default search engine in Firefox.

Read more
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,525   +828

As much as I hate googles changes to search algorithms the last few years, this is still annoying. Its just default option though so at least we can change it really easily...
    I want to get out of firefox still though v.v
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,550   +594

This should be interesting news to the 8 people using Firefox. :p
  4. hammer2085

hammer2085 TS Rookie Posts: 19

Did you just say that? Well what can I say I'm still using Firefox 28!
  5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,457   +1,759

I think you mean the 8 people still using Yahoo as their search engine....:oops:
    Hexic likes this.
  6. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,408   +463

You mean Chrome is a better alternative? Hehe thanks for cheering my morning mate.
  7. I switch Firefox to DuckDuckGo as the search engine of choice. Isn't Yahoo search really just Bing anyways?
  8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

I don't use Google search, but I would use Google before using Yahoo.
    IMO, it doesn't matter because I walked away from anything Yahoo many years ago never to look back.

With that said I will be watching for Yahoo ratings to increase, as people use the default search engine in their browser. That is never knowing or caring that they can actually change it.
  9. Kibaruk

I'm not so sure about your point, normally people do the to then commit a search on and then clicking the link.

End users tend to not use the integrated search engine, they probably don't even know it's there.
  10. S_Brideau

S_Brideau TS Rookie Posts: 65

Bad choices after bad choices. How long until I find an alternative to Firefox 28? And no I don't want to use chrome and have tried many browsers.

With all the trouble Yahoo has been in, lately, they must've offered something extremely good.
  11. cliffordcooley

Not where I am from. I only see people typing searches in the search box, or now days in the address bar. Thus making use of the default search set in the browser.
    Yeah, and they started with Google. So why would you want to ditch Firefox over a default setting you can change back manually.
  12. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 632   +163

Wait what?!
    3rd most used overall in the world and you say that?

Not sure if this will help yahoo make a comeback at all though, personally find their search page ugly and the lack of "did you mean" is really a pain.
    google is the best spell check ever XD
  13. Kibaruk

For all the dudes saying it's a bad move, it doesn't matter, AT ALL, since you are not forced into using yahoo, you can change it in an EXTREMELY easy way.

14. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,457   +1,759

OK, this is much ago about nothing. Firefox is out from Google's thumb. This is a good thing.

To the right of the search bar, there is a fly out menu with EIGHT (8), choices of search engines. AFAIK, the one you choose becomes the default, until you close the browser.

Quit crying, but more importantly, quit over thinking this.

Yahoo does indeed suck. This is hardly news. I've been ignoring my Verizon Yahoo home page going on ten years. Sometimes it takes a day for me to receive my notifications from TS via Yahoo Mail. That sucks too. Soooo, I just keep TS open in my browser. Problem solved.

FWIW, Yahoo has an, "entertainment news" program called, "The Insider", (CBS after the Saturday night reruns @ about 1:30AM Sunday). That sucks big time too.
  15. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,136   +480

My guess is that Google had an opinion that Mozilla didn't like. :p
  16. cliffordcooley

More like Mozilla had an opinion that Google didn't like, or else Chrome wouldn't have been born! Now neither of them agree with the other.
  17. Kibaruk

Mozilla doesn't loose anything by not using Google as it's default search engine, on the other hand Google, fill the gap.

Well sad that they made an agreement with Yahoo on one hand, they could've left the option as a first run setting and it would be done. On another thought this couldn't be less of an impact as everyone else is screaming and running with their arms up high.