Mozilla to begin testing Firefox ads based on browsing history

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Mozilla is taking its controversial in-browser advertising program to the next level. The foundation will roll out Suggested Tiles to its beta channel starting next week, joining Directory Tiles and Enhanced Tiles.

Like the others, Suggested Tiles will show up whenever Firefox users open a new tab page. Borrowing a page from Google’s book, these new tiles will feature advertisements based on your browsing history. For example, if you have been surfing the web for a new smartphone, you may see an ad or two for an online mobile device store.

For those not interested, it’s possible to opt out of Suggested Tiles with just two clicks from the new tab page.

firefox suggested tile mozilla mozilla firefox browser advertising firefox ads firefox advertising suggested tiles directory tiles enhanced tiles

Darren Herman, Mozilla’s VP of Content Services, said with Suggested Tiles, they want to show the world that it is possible to do relevant advertising and content recommendations while still respecting user’s privacy and giving them control over their data.

Mozilla has a pretty extensive set of rules and regulations in place to govern the use of Suggested Tiles, the type of data it can collect and how that information is gathered. There’s a full blog dedicated to this topic for anyone interested in digging deeper.

Suggested Tiles will be rolling out this summer starting with users in the US. The first batch of ads will be “affiliate” ads for other Mozilla causes and Firefox products. After that, the foundation will open it up to content partners.

Permalink to story.

Not a good idea, leave things be. And by all means stop thinking of way to track people.

If you want to track them, get off your dead ***, go shake their hand, and then tell them you will be following them today.

It's not gonna work. I can already see adverts based on my searches on price aggregation sites or shops, and its both creepy and counter productive, as usually I see ads for products that I considered but rejected or things I already bought, and most of all, It painfully reminds Me I'm being spied on constantly.

Already moved away from firefox after I discovered it connecting to an ip everytime it was launched.

it did it with no add-ons & in safe mode, with all the update option's turned off & a few extra's in about:config

Using cyberfox 64 @ the moment, had no problems with it & doesn't call home

I use Seamonkey now, after a bit of tweaking and a few addons it is much better than the piece of garbage Firefox has become.

Ad's are for chumps who don't know the true value of having AdBlock installed in their browser.
What made you think AdBlock Plus will be able (or allowed) to interfere with Mozilla's new revenue stream?

Back