TechSpot

Mozilla Weave gets re-branded as Firefox Sync

By Jos
May 21, 2010
  1. Mozilla's browser sync tool, Weave, is getting another update this week along with a re-brand meant to help less in-the-know Firefox users understand what the software does. Starting with version 1.3b5 and going forward, Weave will be known as Firefox Sync as Mozilla prepares to start publicizing this little known tool for daily usage. Basically what it does is keep your bookmarks, history, passwords, open tabs and other Firefox data in sync across computers.

Read the whole story

2. jink

jink TS Rookie Posts: 23

I prefer the browser\platform agnostic XMarks and Lastpass.

3. Recycle

Recycle TS Rookie Posts: 53

I used XMarks in the past, but as someone who only uses Firefox on Windows machines, Weave does a fine job.

4. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Xmarks and Lastpass work so well on the multiple browsers I use, I don't really see an advantage in Weave for me. I can see an advantage for Mozilla to serve its user base this way, and I suppose there's something to be said for using a browser's "native" technology if that's the only one you use. Still... does the new Sync have features that would make it worthwhile for someone who only uses Firefox to switch from Xmarks as @Recycle seems to have done? Is it maybe faster, or something?

5. Puiu

Puiu TS Maniac Posts: 1,072   +100

They just didn't planned it right. I don't think many people will use it. I'm still not convinced.

6. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

I use xmarks. I use firefox but across several platforms, so if its windows only (I've not read the full article) then I'll be staying put. lol.

ITs a nice idea, but a little too late as others are much more developed and matured.

7. Um, who *are* the people posting below? XMarks and LastPass do not have the same functionality of Weave-- syncing tabs, not bookmarks.

8. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

Xmarks also now syncs active tabs I believe, I feature I don't use really. Isn't that pretty much the same thing?

That said, from reading, xmarks does the same job as the mozilla version for me, so its fair to compare them.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.