MP3 Playback causing lockups

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just finished putting together a new system for a friend, and have come across a wierd problem with the audio.

It plays back fine in games, but there is an issue with music playback in windows.

When I start playing MP3's it starts off fine but then after 20-30 seconds Winamp (or windows media player) just freezes up and no more sound comes out. I can't close the playback program unless I use task manager, and even then it won't end the process no matter what I do. At that point the whole system is just on a major go-slow and won't even shut down properly. Incidentally, I've not been able to repeat the problem with Audio CD playback, but it happens on almost every MP3 I play regardless of the program used.

I've got exactly the same problems under WXP and x64 so seems unlikely that its a driver issue (although I am using the gigabyte drivers for both installs).

The system spec is as follows:

Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9
Athlon 64 3000+
160GB SATA Maxtor HDD
PNY GeForce 6200 w/256MB RAM
2* 512MB Corsair Value PC3200
Onboard ALC850 AC97 Audio codec

Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions what may be behind this, as I'm really stumped and am ready to tear my hair out about now.

That may well be the route that I have to go down, but unfortunately the system was built on quite a tight budget so I won't be in a position to get a new soundcard until the end of the month at the earliest :( , so I'm kind of hoping to find a solution (at least temporary) to get it running until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back