TechSpot

MS DOS closing problem (in Windows XP)

By PoK
Sep 8, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,

Whenever I try to close an exe (these are old files from the Windows 95 era), the screen goes black and never returns to Windows. I've tried Ctrl+Alt+Del and Alt+F4, but neither of them did anything. So, I can RUN DOS programs (using command.com), but I can't seem to exit them (which results in me having to restart the computer). Anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks,
    PoK

EDIT: Also, is there a way to run DOS programs in a window (not full screen)?
  2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,712

What is your OS?
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Running in a window depends on the program and how it uses the graphics. You can try switching to window mode with Alt+Enter.

If you run DOS progs a lot, then you may want to consider an emulator like DOSBox or a full-blown virtual machine like VMware, Virtual PC or Bochs.
  4. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,712

The proper way to close a dos box is 'exit' and then enter. But if you cannot see a command prompt this is a bit difficult. Likewise if you cannot see a task bar.
    Some programs have an option to run in a win95 emulation - find the program file and check its properties - if it can then the option should be there as well as a program close option.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.