MS - DOS help for windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

saffronire

I know this has been posted about several times before and I apologies for posting it again but I’m not skilled at working computers and none of the instructions make any sense to me.

When trying to run Baldur's Gate II on my computer I get a message saying -

16 Bit Windows Subsystem

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate application.

Now I know that this involves me making Config files and autoexec files in notepad, which I’ve done and pasted into my system32 folder.
I know it also involves writing commands. I've tried doing this with help from many search results from google but I seem to be writing the commands wrong because I always get an error message in cmd.
Now I’ve found out it may be to do with a virus, which my McAfee software isn’t picking up and that I may have to install windows XP onto my computer again.
I'm at a total loss as to what to do and computers confuse the hell out of me. It doesn’t help that I have trouble following simple instructions as well. :(
If anyone can make things a bit clearer (or at least tell me why my computer is doing this to me) I’d be very grateful.
If you do have the time and patience to help me with this just a word of warning: With the lack of capability to understand most things I fear this will have to be explained to me in 'baby terms' or a 'dumbed down' version.
Thanks again.

It would sort of help if you showed us what kinds of commands you put in there.. How about posting those pesky autoexec.nt and config.nt files?

May I also recommend an excellent DOS emulator: http://dosbox.sf.net
This will allow you to forget all the quirks of XP.

The files you need are as follows:-
Config.nt
autoexec.nt
command.com

Expand those files from your Windows XP CD to:-
\\Windows\system32\

eg::
expand x:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\Windows\System32\

Replace "x" in above example with the drive letter of your CDROM

Just learned and now my games are running.
1. Click start, type C:\windows\repair, & click OK
2. Right click autoexec.nt, copy
3. Click start, Run, type C:\windows\system32, click OK
4. Right click anywhere in that folder (not on any thing), paste
5. Right click autoexec.nt that you just pasted, click properties
6. Check box that says Read-only & then click OK
Repeat 1-6 with file Config.nt
Restart your computer
Hope this helps
Kathryn from Oklahoma

Status
Not open for further replies.