MS Outlook problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running Windows XP Home Edition, use MS Outlook for mail and Norton 2006 for Security on a dial-up Internet connection. In the last few weeks I have been unable to open .doc and .xls mail attachments when on-line or even after going off-line. I have to go off-line, turn off the computer, re-boot, and then I can open the attachments. .jpg and .pdf files are not affected.
I can't seem to find a setting anywhere to fix this problem. Any ideas?
walt22.

Are you using Internet Explorer 7? Which version of Norton? The one with a Firewall?
Remove Norton, then reboot. Now see if there is a difference.
Reinstall if you really need Norton, but that firewall could be part of the problem.
I suspect you have an infestation that Norton allowed through.
Consider using the free AVG AntiVirus, AVG AntiSpyware, and AVG Rootkit to see if they help when Norton is removed.
Otherwise, the problem can be in Outlook... are you using outlook 2007, 2003, or 2000? Or is it part of Office 2000, XP, 2003, or 2007. Usually if you have the separate Outlook disc, it is best to remove and reinstall using Add and Remove. You will not lose your data.

Thanks for the suggestions. I use Internet Explorer 7 and Norton 2006 includes the Norton Firewall. I have the Windows Firewall turned off. Outlook 2003 is part of the Office 2003 suite on one disc.

We are finding a number of clients with Outlook 2003 problems when their system has Norton or Systemworks installed.
We suggest the above... remove what you have, then shut down and do a cold boot, then try other security software.
You might be happy with the very good, and very free AVG antivirus and antivirus, along with the free version of the Zone Alarm firewall (www.zonelabs.com, or the free Comodo firewall... (www.comodo.com/products/free_products.html)
You can always go into About Help in your Norton Symantec, and write down the info there so you can reinstall it, if you want, with very little hassel

We do find that shutting these down, then rebooting and reinstalling does take care of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back