MS Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard problem

By iNoob
Jan 13, 2006
  1. I have a Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard and the Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0 combo. When i bought it, it was refurbished. The problem is, when I type anything, sometimes the key i last press would seem to get stuck. Not physically stuck, but whatever the key does will get repeated up to soomething like 20 times. For example, if i press the space key last, it will output 20 spaces. It gets really annoying when i open a file with the enter key and it happens. It doens't happen ALL the time, but it happens enough to annoy me. I have tried reinstalling the proper drivers, using the PS2 adapter to connect the keyboard to a PS2 port. I've also formatted several times (not because of the keyboard) but the problem never goes away. Is the keyboard busted?

Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
    OCZ 2x512MB PC4000 EL VX Gold - 2-3-2-6 @ DDR400
    DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D
    XFX 6800GT
    Seagate Barracuda 160GB SATA
    onboard sound
    480W EasyMedia PSU

By the way, the problem happened twice while typing up this post.
  2. hewybo

hewybo TS Maniac Posts: 435

I have the same mouse, similar keyboard (Wireless Natural Multimedia), but haven't encountered your problem. I do know that M$ recently released updated drivers for these, and- have you tried fiddling with the speed/repeat settings in the keyboars icon?

Perhaps someone mistook "refurbished" for "refubarred?" :rolleyes:
  3. iNoob

iNoob TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 68

Just installed the new drivers....still has that problem.

LoL, i they keyboard looked like it was in excellent condition when i got it....i doubt it is "refubarred" lol. I you think it might be a software problem?

Also, when i installed FIFA 06 (legit), it didn't work and it turned out to be a problem with "some improperly installed drivers" and i narrowed the problem down to one driver and the game worked after i disabled the driver in Device Manager. The driver is for the "HID-compliant consumer control device" and it is extremely outdated (7/1/2001). Do you think this might be the cause of my messed up keyboard?
  4. bbdude

bbdude TS Rookie Posts: 18

Well, the keyboard was refurbished, so it could be busted. Try to think positive, though.
  5. hewybo

hewybo TS Maniac Posts: 435

That could be part of it. Try going to device manager and uninstalling all drivers associated with the HID compliant devices, then re-start. Let Windows reload the onboard drivers, then go to M$ for the update again. (Be sure you have the correct keyboard selected). If this doesn't help, and you cannot fix it through the menu in "Microsoft Keyboard," I don't know what else to suggest. Maybe someone smarter than I (there are MANY of those in this forum) will respond with more helpful advice. By the way, what sort of mouse/hardware are you using? Good luck, man. :wave:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.