Msconfig start up tab - clearing unknown programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

treeski

Hey all,
I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with getting rid of unused and unknown start up programs that appear under msconfig - startup tab. I have about 30 programs that I have had to remove from my boot up process. Many of them I know what they are, and many I have no clue at all. Is there some way to:

a) Remove the programs that I know I'll never use as start up.
b) Find out what the programs are that I'm unsure of.

Thanks!

1. Rather then using msconfig you might find it easier/simpler to use Startup Control Panel by Mike Lin. It also allows you to delete entries (and more)
  2. If you really wanna see everything that's being started on your computer download Autoruns by Sysinternals (and, yes to all, i know they have a new name now that it's Microsoft but i always prefer remembering all those tools as belonging to Sysinternals). However, unless you know what you're doing, suggest you use Autoruns just to view it all and not to manipulate it all.
  3. There are many sites that provide detail about all those startups (many of them use the same input source if their output looks similar).
    • Here's a link to a good presentation along with the common input source used by many sites Click here.
    • You can also look here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back