msdos problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem that i need help with. I was in ms dos mode and was trying to start a floppy using msdos. it wiuldn`t read the disk so it asked me abort retry or fail? i did the dumb thing and hit fail. now, everytime i reboot my computer, it says floppy disk fail (40). after it boots i click on my computer and only see c; and d; drives. how do i get msdos to see my a drive. also, when im in dos mode, i try to hit a: then enter, all it reas is that my drive is not there. what sould i do? i tried to uninstall my floppy drive and reinstalling it, but it doesn`t work. can anyone help?

Go to Control Panel - Add/Remove Hardware and select Uninstall a device (twice), tick the square for Show hidden devices and uninstall first Floppy disk drive, then uninstall Standard floppy disk controller.
Reboot and the floppy should be re-installed.
Also get TweakUI from the MS website and install that. You run that from the Control Panel. Select My Computer and make sure the A-drive is 'ticked'.

"Floppy disk fail (40)" is a BIOS error message. It has absolutely nothing to do with DOS or Windows.
You did not break anything by selecting "fail" from the DOS prompt.

Check that the floppy drive setting in BIOS correspond to your real setup - the number and type of drives.
Check that all the cables are connected properly to the floppy drive itself. If you have a cable with three connectors then it does matter which plug you attach the floppy drive to.

It may very well be that your floppy drive has died. Try with another drive and cable.

dam msxp

i to0o have a problem with ms dos . the only thingis, is that ive never run into a problem like this b 4 , i wen to start run . . ect . i type in command and when the dos box opes i get this gay message .

C:\WINDOWS\system32\command.com
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitibale for running MS-DOS and mirosoft windows applications. Choose "close" to terminate the application

. . ok sounds simple ignore it kills dos if i click close it closes . . wtf!!! ahhh . . all i wanted to do was open the dam dos programing command prompt . . but no . . dam windows . well if ne 1 can ttell me wut the problem is and or how to fix it plz do so . .

Extract the autoexec.nt file from your Windows CD and replace the one you have in \windows\system32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back