MSI (3.3v) Voltage problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I am using a MSI motherboard model K7N2G-L. CPU is athlon 2400Ghz. Memory 1GB (kingston 512 x 2). graphic card is Albatron Ti4200 with 128mb. I'm already using this PC for almost 3 years now. the recent upgrade i did on my pc is adding a memory module Kingston 512MB to make a total PC memory to 1 GB. One week back i replaced my motherboard BIOS battery and redid the BIOS setting again. No overclocking was done.

currently i'm having a problem. when i'm playing graphic demanding games like NFSUG2, there is a warning and beeping sound from PC Alert 4 (ver 4.0.0.5). The warning comes from voltage 3.3volt display. i was noticing the voltage 3.3 goes below the threshold setting. as minimum as 2.6volt. but mostly it fluctuate heavily between 2.7 to 3.18. i don't know what causes it and how to solve this problem. when i exit from the game, the voltage goes back normal again.

i never had this problem before the changes. i have even played that game in my PC before without any problem(before the recent changes).

Temps during idle are about 64 C for CPU and 49 C for Motherboard, rising to 69 C for CPU and 52 for motherboard during gaming.

please help me solve this problem. thank you.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I`d say this is a psu problem. What psu do you have, and what is it`s rated wattage?

Simply upgrading your psu may well solve the problem.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3.3v problem....using a 450w PSU

thanks howard

i think i'm using a 450watt PSU. but what really bothers me is that....i've played the same game at the same high graphic setting in the same PC before the upgrade. I never encounter the problem before.

do you think the PSU is failing? my PSU +5volt is at +4.95v and +12v is at +11.52v (PC Alert reading). i have a harddisk, DVD-rom, CDRW drive, a floppy drive, two 5" casing fan and 2 AMD CPU fan connected.

is this 3.3v only used to power CPU or anything else uses the same power?
can this problem lead to any other damage to the CPU or graphic card?

what recomended psu i should use? Can a 450w rated PSU supply lower wattage?

thanks for your time and help.

regards,
Raysen

do you think the PSU is failing?
That is a strong possibility.

is this 3.3v only used to power CPU or anything else uses the same power?
Your psu`s 3.3v output powers things like below. If your psu is failing then it can damage your mobo etc.

AGP bus - 3.3v line
Southbridge - 3.3v line
Northbridge - 3.3v line
Memory - 3.3v line

Take a look at this handy psu wattage calculator HERE.

Also read this article on psu`s. It tells you which psu`s to buy, and more importantly which ones to avoid. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566

Regards Howard :)

My PSU problem solved

Thanks very much Horward

My problem is solved.

My PSU was indeed failing as you said. A day after your reply, i can't even ON my PC.

Your reference website was indeed very helpful.

I bought a PSU yesterday. Its true power is around 350w. More than enough juice (according to the wattage calculator)

I'm able to run my games again.

Best of regards,
Raysen :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back