Msi Dr8-a (will Not Flash)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cris

Hello People,

Ive bought this MSI DR8-A dvd burner.

I think it was a bad buy!!!

Im trying to flash the drive with the 150d_scr.bin flash file that is avalable at www.msi.com.tw

when I try to flash the drive in the real DOS mode It keeps telling me that the flie is the wrong flile for the drive.

As far as i know it is the right file.

Im trying to get the drive to recognise more media.

I cant seam to get any resolution to what is going on.

if anyone can help me it would be very good.

and ill have to owe some one a beer or three.

Plese Help :D

Please, in the future try to use proper grammer and spelling. I edited it to make it easier to read. Also refrain from excessive use of !'s, people tend to ignore threads with excessive punctuation and caps.
Thank you,
StormBringer

Are people still complaining about this Unit? I still love (and use) mine.

cris said:
Hello People,

Ive bought this MSI DR8-A dvd burner.

I think it was a bad buy!!!

Im trying to flash the drive with the 150d_scr.bin flash file that is avalable at www.msi.com.tw

when I try to flash the drive in the real DOS mode It keeps telling me that the flie is the wrong flile for the drive.

As far as i know it is the right file.

Im trying to get the drive to recognise more media.

I cant seam to get any resolution to what is going on.

if anyone can help me it would be very good.

and ill have to owe some one a beer or three.

Plese Help :D

Please, in the future try to use proper grammer and spelling. I edited it to make it easier to read. Also refrain from excessive use of !'s, people tend to ignore threads with excessive punctuation and caps.
Thank you,
StormBringer

I have found various firmware u/d's for this device, this is the one that you are talking bout:

http://cd-rom.free-driver-download.com/MSI/14514/MSI-DR8-A-(MS-8408A)-DVD-Dual-Firmware-130D.html

1) You have to have a floppy disk drive on your PC, I only say this cos it is common nowadays for people to build PC's without one. Well, not a good idea, get a floppy drive, even a USB drive, that way you can D/C it when you want. But for this operation you HAVE to be able to boot up in DOS... Ergo, you must have a hard wired Floopy Disk Drive on the Floopy Drive Bus set up as Drive A.

(You can, of course, use WinIMAGE 6 and above to create a BIN file that can be used to make a bootabe CD... But you still have to follow the directions down below-)

2) Assuming you got a floppy drive, you must CREATE a bootable floppy disk. Then, copy the 150D_SCR.BIN and the DVFLASH.exe files to the floppy.

3) Then you boot up with the floppy disk, and type DVFLASH at the A: Prompt

From the README.TXT file in the archive:

============================================
MSI DVD Dual BIOS Update Procedure
============================================

1. Create a bootable floppy disk that be able to boot
to DOS console capable of executing normal MS-DOS batch
and executable files in accordance with the instructions.

2. Download and unzip the xxxx.zip file corresponding to
your model from the MSI website to the floppy disk or
Hard Disk.

3. Boot from your DOS floppy disk to the Real DOS mode.

4. At the command prompt.
+-------------------------------------------------------+
|Type "DVFLASH <Firmware>". |
|Usage: DVFLASH <filename.xxx> |
| |

5. Reboot the system,when finish updating process.

Note: You should not update your firmware unless you have
have flash experience with your optical drive.

So, you would type, at the "A" Prompt:

A: DVflash 150d_scr.bin

And then the unit will be updated to this firmware revision.

However, I do not think you need to do all this... You DO need to buy me all that beer, BUT, hehe, just do this instead.

On my uniut, which has burnt maybe 4 coasters out of 1,000 burns, I use only SONY, MEMOREX, FUJIFILM media. Sometimes, the Sony and the Fujifilm media ARE THE SAME. You can tell by the design of the Spool. A lot of times, these DVD Blanks and CD blanks come from the same plant - I have seen all three of these, Sony, Memorex, and Fujifilm, being very similar. However, I use,. Mostly, Memorex blanks, DVD+R or DVD-R. The +R are usually more stable, and I was told that for DATA, use DVD-R and for Video DVD's use DVD+R. I had made a review of this Unit at another Tech board, and I said, that the unit burns up to 8x at -R and up to 4x at +r - I believe I have that backward, this unit burns up to 8x +R and 4x -R

So, the trick for this unit is to be consistent with your media, I always get these same three brands, no matter what the cost. Did you hear me mention that I burned about 4 coasters with this unit? Out of 1,000 total burns (Not an exact figure but an approximate guess) Well, would you not agree that the fact that all 4 coasters were on cheap media - that media that you get for very low price, and it is only rated at 1 or 2x, sometimes 2.4x- I even bought a whole spool of this stuff, and it was rated 4x - I burned two DVD's and I stopped using the media, cos although both blanks burned, the DVD's that I had burned, skipped and had opther various errors and defects.

So, you do not really want to "Im trying to get the drive to recognise more media." I think you said - Nah, it does not matter how many piece of ****e cheap medias this thing can handle - What MATTERS is, that the things burns GOOD media VERY well.

Media to use:

SONY, MAXELL, MEMOREX, FUJI, FUJIFILM

Media to AVOID:

VERBATIM! VERBATIMVERBATAIMVERBATIM! Verbatim Media SUCKS! Even Verbatim Floppy Disks, out of a package of 10 floppies, 5 will be BAD.

Ricoh! GQ! Stay Way from them! Anything you buy from Frye's for 10 buks per spool of 50!

ANY shiny, unmarked Blank - Stay away from these medias, they are VERY badly made.

DURABRAND! DURABRAND, the brand of Wal+Fart - these USED to be very GOOD, but now, the jury is out. Durabrand used to all be epoxy-covered. But now, they are all too thin.
=======================================

(New Subject)

Now, my new question is, I need to know who made this unit, so I can set the Booktype correctly. The device shows up as Generic ATAPI DVD±RW

I need to know the ecaxt manufacture, or, the setting in DVD Dectryptor for Book Type.

Anyone know who the OEM is on these?

Hm, I cannot edit:
Make sure that the unit is a DR8-A. There are several other models that were made back them, and there is also a DR8-A2... I do not know if this one uses the same Firmware Revision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back