MSI GE60 2oe BSOD & overheating

By Ceeroorice
Mar 19, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. My Msi Ge60 2oe seems to be having a few issues with regards to both Blue Screening and Overheating. For the last little while my fan has been making a "grinding" noise so I called msi and they are shipping me a new fan. This will hopefully fix my overheat issues as while I am playing games, the laptop can reach up to 99c while most time hovering around 85-90c. Could there be anything else that may be causing such high temps? I've replaced both sets of thermal paste on the cpu/gpu as well as clean the cooling system and it seems to have a very small effect.

With regards to the BSOD, I'm not 100% sure what is causing it but did manage to snap a picture of the screen. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xFFFFF8800F41B000, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFF88006693FA0)

*** e22w7x64.sys - Address FFFFF88006693FA0 base at FFFFF8800667A000, DateStamp 50bf74c4

image: http://imgur.com/x97xDMr

Thank you.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,673   +152

Killer e2200 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver=e22w7x64.sys Go to C:\windows\minidump. Minidump files have a .dmp extension. Select all the .dmp files and right-click sending the files to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload this folder as a file here
  3. Ceeroorice

Ceeroorice Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Here are the Minidump files:

Attached Files:

4. Tmagic650

Have you tried updating the e22w7x64.sys driver? If a laptop fan runs at all, it is usually okay. Can you hear the fan running?
    Ceeroorice likes this.
  5. Ceeroorice

I'll give that a try, thanks! Also, to my knowledge it is in fact running as when I enable the "turbo" option it spins up quite a bit. The speed is also usually pretty proportionate to the noise being made so I'm assuming it is spinning. Would the fan hitting its case be enough to effect the temps to that degree?
  6. Tmagic650

Well, the fan should never be obstructed but most all laptop fans are shielded from hitting it's surroundings. The grinding noise could be from the fans bearings or from debris on the fan
  7. Ceeroorice

Okay, I suspected it was a bad bearing. Hopefully getting the new fan unit in tomorrow. Hopeful to see decreased temps, if not it looks like I'll be sending the laptop into MSI to have them fix it.

Anyways,
    Thank you very much for all the replies, greatly appreciated!
  8. Tmagic650

Okay, no problem:) Good luck!
    Ceeroorice likes this.
  9. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,131   +493

I have a GT70 MSI and I have serviced my friend GE60 before so maybe I can help.

Now I have messed with my friends GE60 which contains the i5 and GTX 650 card option. Now when you enable turbo on it, have you also tried hitting the force fan to 100% option to see what happens and the noise its making? Normally if the temps are hitting that high they would bump to 100% automatically but this can help you tell if the fan is making a noise this way.

It would be good to test the fan as much as possible before replacing it because that's going to be a pain. It could also be a problem with separation of the heatsink from one part or an obstruction inside the laptop.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.