MSI GS70 gaming laptop boasts touchscreen trackpad, thin aluminum design

Rick

Staff

MSI showed off at Computex today what could be the future of its gaming laptop line-up: an all-aluminum 0.85-inch thick laptop packed with high-performance hardware. Dubbed the GS70 Stealth, the 17.3-inch gaming laptop features an ostensibly premium-quality design and a correspondingly premium price tag around $1700. One item though which MSI hopes will separate the GS70 from the pack is special trackpad that doubles as a pint-sized touchscreen.

The GS70 is a concept design, which typically means it's still too early to know for certain what the final product will look, perform and behave like; however, the company is expected to release a virtually identical system sans the fancy touchpad in August.

Overall, the GS70 appears to be MSI's answer to Razer's Blade family of laptops. It features a relatively light and thin profile (0.85-inch thick at around 6 pounds) and boasts some serious gaming hardware -- a GeForce GTX 765M paired with a Haswell-based Intel Core i7. Spec-wise, this is on-par with Razer's recently announced offerings.

Trackpads that double as miniature, configurable displays aren't exactly a new concept. Again, Razer's Blade line-up already sports this technology. While it does provide some legitimate functionality, a number of hands-on accounts have labeled the feature somewhat "gimmicky". Being a concept design though, MSI has not yet added any sort of functionality to the trackpad, so it will be interesting to see how MSI differentiates its touchpad from Razer, if at all. One obvious difference for now though is location: the 17-inch Razer Blade places its touchpad right side of the keyboard where MSI's is in a more traditional location below the keyboard.

The GS70 will be yet another shot in MSI's recent volley of freshly minted gaming notebooks armed with the latest-gen AMD Radeon HD 8700M-series and Nvidia 700M-family GPUs.

Permalink to story.

I like the fact that some companies are trying something new, but the GTX 765M doesn't have the horsepower for a $1700 laptop. I just finished Metro Lastlight, and with my GTX 680 (Desktop version,) was stressed out at 1080p. Considering the GTX 765M is about 60% slower it'd be impossible to run today's games at 1080p. Granted it's a laptop, so you have to cut it some slack, but at $1700, you have to run every modern game at 1080p 45 FPS minimum with Medium-High details. Maybe that's just me.

For that price I'd rather lug about my desktop computer (desk included). Not to mention the exercise I'd get. Spending $1700 on a laptop is not good for my health (or my bank managers).

Back