MSI GT73VR Titan Pro Review: A GTX 1080 Beast

Scorpus

Staff member

The MSI GT73VR Titan Pro is a beast. This powerful gaming machine can technically be classified as a laptop – it has a 17.3-inch display attached via a hinge – but it’s so large it’ll stay desk-bound for most of its working life. Its price tag matches its size, too: the GT73VR starts at $2,100, though top-end configurations will easily set you back more than $3,000.

What you get for the size and price is simple: MSI’s most powerful 17-inch gaming laptop. From a hardware perspective, there are no compromises here. This monster PC is kitted out with a top-end Intel Skylake processor and the fastest Nvidia graphics on the market. The display, storage, and RAM can all be configured with flagship components as well.

Like with many MSI gaming laptops, there is a collection of GT73VR models available to purchase. The one I received to review came with a Core i7-6820HK processor, GeForce GTX 1080 graphics with 8GB of GDDR5X memory, a 512GB solid state drive to complement a 1TB hard drive, 32 GB of DDR4 RAM, and a 1080p 120Hz G-Sync display. All up, this variant will set you back $3,099.

Read the complete review.

To me a laptop is something you can use on your "lap". This is a PC with an integrated screen.

So, you're already spending $3000+ money on a laptop in spite of being incredibly horrible (big, heavy, chunky, plasticky). Why not spend $600 more on a much better product that is the Razer Blade Pro.
I mean, I thought that product was priced really bad, but this one is worse!

Why not spend $600 more on a much better product that is the Razer Blade Pro.
That exact same thought was running through my mind towards the end! When you're spending that kind of money, you might as well spend that extra bit and get the Razer Blade Pro, same spec, quieter, MUCH thinner and lighter and even the Power Brick is less than half the size. It's actually usable as a laptop, while this thing just isn't.

Why not spend $600 more on a much better product that is the Razer Blade Pro.
That exact same thought was running through my mind towards the end! When you're spending that kind of money, you might as well spend that extra bit and get the Razer Blade Pro, same spec, quieter, MUCH thinner and lighter and even the Power Brick is less than half the size. It's actually usable as a laptop, while this thing just isn't.
Where are you getting "quieter" from? The razer pro at load is a howler of a laptop, and this review doesnt go into specifics as to the audible noise from this "laptop"

Where are you getting "quieter" from? The razer pro at load is a howler of a laptop, and this review doesnt go into specifics as to the audible noise from this "laptop"
No but I can google and find other reviews for this laptop as well, you're right. The Razer is loud, only a tiny bit louder than this beast though yet, keeps a form factor that's actually usable as a laptop.

If you wanted a Razer Blade Pro why would you even consider this laptop? Obviously you'd be wanting something that is portable, which the GT73VR is not.

You'd buy the GT73VR because it's a cheap self-contained GTX 1080 machine and it has plenty of room for overclocking thanks to a good thermal solution (which by the way isn't very loud under load).

The Blade Pro is also 20% more expensive. Sure, it's "only" $600 more in a $3000+ product, but it's a significant amount nonetheless

If you wanted a Razer Blade Pro why would you even consider this laptop?
Because I'm looking at laptops with 1080's in them.
Obviously you'd be wanting something that is portable, which the GT73VR is not.
When I look for laptops, I sort of assume portability is something that's naturally there because of the form factor.
The Blade Pro is also 20% more expensive. Sure, it's "only" $600 more in a $3000+ product, but it's a significant amount nonetheless
Didn't think about it like that but you're right, that is a significant amount of money.

By Tim Schiesser on December 28, 2016
What you get for the size and price is simple: MSI’s most powerful 17-inch gaming laptop. From a hardware perspective, there are no compromises here. This monster PC is kitted out with a top-end Intel Skylake processor and the fastest Nvidia graphics on the market.

..............................................................................................................................................................................................

Can you please make your mind up?? It's ether Laptop or PC can't be both! From what I saw in the shop is one of the ugliest laptops I ever saw...by looking at it makes me feel like I'm somewhere in the 1990's..big,heavy,chunky with ugly design!

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor

If you wanted a Razer Blade Pro why would you even consider this laptop?

Because I'm looking at laptops with 1080's in them.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Well..if that's the case then you should go to Specsavers..mate!!

You seem rather angry over literally nothing?
Do you not use Google? Do you know absolutely everything there is on 1080 equipped laptops you have no need to Google? Or do you use only Techspot reviews to make a decision?

Last edited:
Can you please make your mind up?? It's ether Laptop or PC can't be both! From what I saw in the shop is one of the ugliest laptops I ever saw...by looking at it makes me feel like I'm somewhere in the 1990's..big,heavy,chunky with ugly design!

Uh.... I double dog dare you to find any definition for "PC" that would exclude a Laptop.

So, you're already spending $3000+ money on a laptop in spite of being incredibly horrible (big, heavy, chunky, plasticky). Why not spend $600 more on a much better product that is the Razer Blade Pro.
I mean, I thought that product was priced really bad, but this one is worse!
Bought a Razer Blade Pro last week, 5 minutes after I open the package I decided it need to be returned. It took me a week to get the RMA. Still wait my money.

Back