MSI GT80 Titan gaming notebook has an integrated mechanical keyboard

Shawn Knight

Staff member

msi gaming keyboard mechanical keyboard gaming laptop

Notebook keyboards typically aren’t that great. Even some of the best on the market can’t hold a candle to a quality desktop keyboard which is something MSI is hoping to change on its latest gaming notebook, the GT80 Titan.

If you’re the type that prefers a mechanical keyboard, the GT80 Titan will be right up your alley as that’s exactly what it includes.

As the world’s first gaming laptop with a mechanical keyboard, the GT80 Titan features an integrated SteelSeries gaming keyboard with Cherry Brown MX switches which offer a light, tactile, non-clicky feel. It uses a standard keycap with 27mm of thickness – impressive when you consider this is also the world’s slimmest and lightest 18-inch gaming notebook (it’s 17 percent thinner and 22 percent lighter than its closest competitor, MSI claims).

You’ll notice right away that this isn’t any ordinary notebook as the keyboard has been relocated to the bottom half of the deck area. The number pad on the right side also doubles as a touchpad with click buttons below according to an MSI rep.

I've been told the GT80 Titan should be available early next year and will be showcased at CES in January. Unfortunately, that's the only information MSI can provide at this point.

In the meantime, what do you think of the keyboard position and layout? To me, it seems extremely “different” as I’m used to seeing the keys positioned higher up on the deck to make room for a touchpad. 

Permalink to story.

Seems like a terrible idea for a laptop, I can't imagine being near someone typing on a mechanical keyboard.

I don't get the point of mechanical keyboards.

It seems like the speed increase is marginalized by lag from other areas.

Try them; you'll understand. Especially MX Blues or Reds.

Anyway, I was interested when I saw this, but then I saw the switches were MX Browns. Those switches are terrible in my opinion, and I don't know anyone who likes them over Red, Blue, or Black switches.

Anyway, I was interested when I saw this, but then I saw the switches were MX Browns. Those switches are terrible in my opinion, and I don't know anyone who likes them over Red, Blue, or Black switches.

Competitive FPS gamers like the browns and the blues. I went with browns on a Tt Poseidon eSports keyboard and love it, but I might try blues and 10-keyless next time around.

What are people saying?, it looks totally amazing, I would love to have one of those beauties, for gaming or for anything. Incredible lap, not a kids one though :cool:

I dunno. I'm pretty happy with my Asus ROG laptop already. Besides, I will hook up a keyboard and mouse anyway if I really wanted since you need to have the laptop connected to the power supply. I think MSI will have the same as Asus. It says its a gamers laptop but try playing the latest games without being stuck to the power supply. So its a laptop and its a gaming computer but not both at the same time.

Went with the Logitech G710+ because of the brown keys, mainly for gaming. Very happy with them. Not as noisy but with similar feel and responsiveness.

I primarily use my laptop for work, which includes a lot of typing. I wouldn't be interested in a gaming laptop (too high a premium for specs that won't come close to my desktop), but it'd be great if mechanical switches caught on. For those who haven't tried typing on a mechanical keyboard, you really don't know what you're missing. It can feel awkward for the first couple of days, but then you'll wonder how you ever got anything done without it.

I know its been a long week but damn people.
So much b!tching in so few posts.

Mechanical keyboards are sweet and putting them on a gaming laptop is a good idea, since many PC gamers have them on their big rigs.

Notebook keyboards typically aren’t that great.
Yeah, basic notebooks. Gaming laptops have had decent keyboards for years, (well the few I have used, MSi G70, L702X, AlienWare 14) the backlight keyboard on my L702X is crisp, quiet and smooth.

Last edited:
This is absolutely fantastic..with one fatal exception. For lefties, the numpad is our ASDW equivalent. Making it a touchpad renders this beauty essentially useless. Truthfully, a touchpad has no place on a gaming laptop AT ALL when you're going to be plugged into AC and using a mouse but I guess they wanted it to be usable for non-gaming on the go. I can understand the logic as only about 15% of users are left-handed (outside of Japan, that is). But still, what a bloody shame. Why not an all-mechanical k/b and a pointer nub like Thinkpads have? Oh well, at least you can probably use that huge forward area as a hotplate. MSI should sell a matching spillproof coffee mug with metal base for maximum convection.

Back