MSI K7N2 & Maddog FX5500 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedster

Currently have a MSI K7N2 delta 2 motherboard
1.5 gigs memory.
I have a maddog FX5500 graphics card
Athlon 3200+ CPU

I cannot get ANY graphics card to work normally. Colors always come up scrambled in windows. THERE IS NO onboard video.
I have already replaced the motherboard AND graphics card

I have tried other graphics cards and get the same problem. Any resolutions higher than the base resolution come up scrambled (for example web site photographs within a web page)

I have upgraded all drivers.... I have troubleshot this to the end... I am running out of ideas.
anybody got any ideas?

ever tried to replace your old monitor? that scrambled colour is from old monitor, ask around to borrow or rent a monitor and test your computer with it to find the fact.

Lucan

Monitor works fine. In fact, I use it with my old system. I don't understand how a monitor would be the issue?

The monitor had displayed high resolution images with my older system. In fact, it displays high rez images now with no problems.

Magentism or EMF Near Your Monitor?

Make sure there are no speakers, fluorescent lights, small motors, wires, transformers, or anything magnetic near your monitor OR the monitor's cable going to your PC. At least do your best to move these types of devices as far away as possible. Always ground yourself before working in the computer.

It's not an RF interference problem. Otherwise I would have the same problem on the old system. It seems to be a driver problem. The colors are false with purple and yellow here and there, plus the background turns dark after the NVIDIA driver loads.

There's no RF sources near the case.

Never mentioned RF, actually

RF - Radio Frequency - is a completely different form of interference than anything I had mentioned. Just an FYI. Good luck.

all motors, AC lines, in fact anything that runs current produces RF interference.

It's part of the faraday effect.

in any case, the problem is not interference.

what have you replaced? if the card and board were replaced i'd be mighty suspicious of the monitor and/or windows. im assuming you installed the monitor driver and are not running the monitor at a spec it can't do (you mentioned the base modes work fine). try lowering the refresh rates to 60 Hz if in doubt.

Farraday Effect vs RF

Look, I'm not trying to argue with you; I'm simply a proponent of truth and facts. Please check this comprehensive definition of the Farrady Effect http://www.answers.com/topic/faraday-effect

Nowhere in the definition or description does it mention RF, only light and magnetism.

Here is the definition of RF

If you can explain to me how the two can be reconciled, I'm ready to learn :grinthumb

ok, let's not get into a hissy fit. In any case this has drifted FAR off the topic. I took the machine to a repair shop. They claim to have used an older card that works. I'm really starting to think it is a driver issue. I used the following cards that didn't work:
an old NVIDIA 32MB CARD
an ATI 9200
a MADDOG FX5500 (NVIDIA based) 128MB CARD.

When the colors are scrambled, they are consistent and don't change. The colors don't become scrambled until the VIDEO driver loads.

guy hasn't really told me much. He tried an old card that works. My newer card doesn't. I need to know what cards are compatible with the motherboard.

ok it's not the cards!

went to the tech shop yesterday. we tried 4 different cards with the same results.... So it Can't be the cards. 1 card was brand new out of the box.

The motherbaord was already replaced before..... I was thinking it was a bad AGP slot before....

Turned out the CPU went bad,..... I should have never upgraded from a 2500+ to a 3200+... the performance increase wasn't all that much and the 3200+ couldn't take the overclocking.

I put a 2500+ back in and it works fine now.... a $200 mistake when all was said and done. Was he most difficult troubleshoot I ever had, I had to go professional on this one.

:knock: $%^%^*^&#$%^#!$%!@ !!!!

Murphey's law, I guess. I definate learning experience. I will be FAR more cautious in the future when overclocking. This one cost me big time. Now I have a spare CPU for a paperweight.

Please clarify

Tedster said:
Turned out the CPU went bad,..... I should have never upgraded from a 2500+ to a 3200+... the performance increase wasn't all that much and the 3200+ couldn't take the overclocking.

I put a 2500+ back in and it works fine now.... a $200 mistake when all was said and done. Was he most difficult troubleshoot I ever had, I had to go professional on this one.

:knock: $%^%^*^&#$%^#!$%!@ !!!!

Just so I understand exactly what the problem was, your CPU burnt out due to trying to overclock it?

yup. Apparantly so. The 3200+ wasn't as hardy as the 2500+. Too bad I had sold the original 2500+. I had to buy another one. I'll be far more cautious next time.

that wouldn't be honest. I'd sell it as a bad part or a pulled part with no warranty, but not under the pretense that it might work.

it was a joke, henceforth the suggestive wink... :rolleyes:
i don't actually take part in dishonest actions such as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back