MSI launches powerful small form factor PC for VR gaming

Scorpus

Staff member

MSI has revealed a new small form factor gaming PC called the Trident, aimed at gamers who want to enter the world of virtual reality without building a massive desktop system.

The Trident comes with either an Intel Core i5-6400 or Core i7-6700 CPU on a custom-made MSI motherboard with an Intel H110 chipset. The motherboard and CPU sit on one side of the small enclosure, while on the other side is a mini-ITX variant of MSI's GeForce GTX 1060 in either 3GB or 6GB configurations.

The entire system takes up just 4.7 liters of space, and weighs 3.2 kilograms, making it the perfect system to bring along to a LAN party or other event. MSI claims the Trident will be fairly quiet: the Silent Storm Cooling 2 solution is apparently just 31 dB under full load. The gamer-styled case packs RGB LED lighting as well.

Internally you'll find space for two DDR4-2133 SO-DIMM sticks, a 2.5-inch SATA drive, and an M.2 SSD, although these slots will be filled for you if you opt for MSI's full system configuration. I/O consists of a USB 3.1 Type-A port along with four USB 2.0 ports on the rear, plus a single USB-C port and two USB 3.1 Type-A ports on the front.

The Trident will be available this month starting at $899 as a pre-configured system, or $599 as a barebones kit. The starting price here is a fair bit cheaper than Zotac's competing Magnus EN1060 barebones compact GTX 1060 gaming PC, however Zotac's system is smaller despite MSI's claims of the "world’s smallest true gaming PC."

Permalink to story.

$899???

You can get a prebuilt Desktop computer from HP (like I did) for less than 899 and have a Core i7 6700 (or better) and a VR-capable GTX card.

I currently have a $2000 HP core i7 6950x with 32GB of RAM and a Titan X. , but I upgraded it. I also upgraded to an nvme SSD. It came with just 16GB I could have saved $300 or $400 getting a cheaper card but that only goes to my point that these little pre-built machines don't make much sense when you can have a full desktop that's upgradeable.

If you desperately must have a "portable small" desktop, then just build one. It's cheaper and more fun.

$899???

You can get a prebuilt Desktop computer from HP (like I did) for less than 899 and have a Core i7 6700 (or better) and a VR-capable GTX card.

I currently have a $2000 HP core i7 6950x with 32GB of RAM and a Titan X. , but I upgraded it. I also upgraded to an nvme SSD. It came with just 16GB I could have saved $300 or $400 getting a cheaper card but that only goes to my point that these little pre-built machines don't make much sense when you can have a full desktop that's upgradeable.

If you desperately must have a "portable small" desktop, then just build one. It's cheaper and more fun.

But you can't build one this small, that's why it even has a custom made board. I'd love to see a new motherboard form factor this sort of size take off designed for super tiny PCs that are still really powerful.

Normally I am not a huge fan of gaming cases as I usually find them gaudy and often times just too angular, but this one is not too bad. I kind of like how that corner lights up.

A lot of bucks and they still give you that usb 2.0 crap which would make a bit of sense for mouse and keyboard. But you only need two of them at most, not 4. And I would prefer to connect a bluetooth mouse and keyboard - but maybe gamers would like some gaming dedicated keyboard and mouse.

$899???

Not yet satisfied that everyone on Techspot already knows your entire system specs are you?...

What would be even more impressive is if you bought all your components and put it all together yourself not some pre-built HP POS just to spend double on upgrading it.

And thus, still no one cares...

But you can't build one this small, that's why it even has a custom made board. I'd love to see a new motherboard form factor this sort of size take off designed for super tiny PCs that are still really powerful.

I'll second this. Giant mega computers are cool and all, but there's so much potential in going smaller as computers get more and more efficient, the days of multi GPU are soon going to be behind us, if they aren't already. Motherboards are already at the point where you only need a single PCIE slot for a GPU when building a gaming system, everything else is integrated into the motherboard or handled via USB peripherals. The only exception is for media creation or high end work station applications, but these are not typically used for gaming anyways.

Not yet satisfied that everyone on Techspot already knows your entire system specs are you?...
What would be even more impressive is if you bought all your components and put it all together yourself not some pre-built HP POS just to spend double on upgrading it.
And thus, still no one cares....

As long as my comments fit within the T.O.S - you've got nothing to say about it.

I will continue to post my comments as I see fit and if you don't like it - shame on ya.

So as I was saying: The new SSD I got is quite fast. It feels as if pages load instantaneously.

Perhaps this is because of the speed of the Core i7 6950x inside?

Perhaps this is because of the plethora of RAM...I mean 32GB of DDR4 is a lot of RAM.

Or perhaps the Titan X 12GB card helps take the stress off the CPU and allows the system to run faster than I'd previously thought.

As long as my comments fit within the T.O.S - you've got nothing to say about it.

I will continue to post my comments as I see fit and if you don't like it - shame on ya.

So as I was saying: The new SSD I got is quite fast. It feels as if pages load instantaneously.

Perhaps this is because of the speed of the Core i7 6950x inside?

Perhaps this is because of the plethora of RAM...I mean 32GB of DDR4 is a lot of RAM.

Or perhaps the Titan X 12GB card helps take the stress off the CPU and allows the system to run faster than I'd previously thought.

Your SSD load times have Nothing to do with the article...

Your Core i7 6950x has Nothing to do with the article...

Your RAM has NOTHING to do with the article...

And Most importantly you Titan X has even less to do with the article...

All your doing is bragging about your system, and NO ONE CARES...

Thank you.

Who spends 2000 on a HP and then comes in here acting like they know something about Mini Computers and Vr Gaming and upgrading

The video card by itself was $1000

I'm suggesting solutions to people who want a powerful gaming computer in the $899 range.

The Trident will be available this month starting at $899 as a pre-configured system, or $599 as a barebones kit. The starting price here is a fair bit cheaper than Zotac's competing Magnus EN1060 barebones compact GTX 1060 gaming PC, however Zotac's system is smaller despite MSI's claims of the "world’s smallest true gaming PC."
For what it's worth the MSI box appears to have a lot better cooling and uses a desktop solution to the 1060 vs the mobile variant that the zotac box has, as well as using the standard CPUs vs T variants.

Still, makes my 12L ML08 look humongous in comparison. XD

$899???

Hold on, didn't you post the following TODAY:

I believe"Workstations" make more sense as All-in-one PC units with error-correcting memory.

The workstations I bought for my staff are all of this type, LENOVO, and the reason I prefer it that way is because it eliminates clutter, and their work is being stored on our server rather than the computer. You can go smaller on their internal HDD and spend longer on the server capacity.

It's easier to set up work areas with the All in One because the only thing you'll need to add is a keyboard and mouse.

My employees have WiFi so that eliminates Ethernet cables when necessary.
You are just full of it!

Back