MSI Neo2-FR and E2180 Overclock Issues: 266x10 Max?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

This is my first post in this forum and while I wish I could say I managed an overclock on my E2180 that I can be (somewhat) proud to post, I haven't. So I'm here hoping to get some advice on where I went wrong and what I can try.

Here are my brief system specs:

Intel E2180
MSI Neo2-FR Bios 1.6
OCZ Platinum Rev 2 DDR2-800 4 x 1 GB
XFX 8800GT 512MB
Corsair VX 550W

I'm using a MSI Neo2-FR Bios 1.6 and the highest stable overclock I can get on my E2180 is 2.66 GHz (266 x 10). I managed to post at a variety of clockspeeds but my system restarts when loading windows. I 've tried lowering the multiplier and pushing the FSB and I think I found the FSB limit (around 385 x 8). I've tried increasing vCore all the way to 1.55v and managed to post at 330 x 10 but am unable to load windows...even then, I think it's way too high. I've also tried increasing VTT to 1.45v, NB to 1.475v, RAM voltage as high as 2.3v but the system remains unstable once I increase the multiplier. It cannot even boot at 320 x 9/10. Am I going wrong somewhere?

Right now, I am at 375 x 8 = 3.00 GHz, vCore 1.475v and while it manages to complete Aquamark 3, it reboots on Futuremark tests and fails Orthos... I know that means it's unstable but I'm at a loss. Am I just unlucky to get a crappy E2180 or is my mobo or RAM holding me back? I thought of getting Crucial Ballistix or G-Skill to replace my OCZs since I've read posts on how bad they are for OCing (after I bought them of course... :/) but it doesn't seem to make sense since I'm not even running at their rated speeds. Currently, they are at DDR2-750.

Please help. I don't want to OC like mad but I thought I could at least hit 3.2GHz (320 x 10) easy and so far, I'm disappointed.

I tried that ram. I took it back and had much better luck with Corsair ram that 'configured' as compatible to my mobo. I looked up some benchmarks for the Intel E2180. With higher CPU core voltages as part of the O'C formula it read as follows: #1. @ 1.3v the clock was 3GHZ. #2. @ 1.42v = 3.2GHZ. #3. @ 1.55v = 3.6GHZ. #4. @ 1.67v = 3.7GHZ. These are amazing clock speeds coming out of a 2.00 GHZ CPU. I did not research the BIOS and over clocking features of your MSI Neo2-FR BIOS 1.6. Good Luck.

I have that RAM, and it won't run even 25MHz above its specified clock speed, no matter how much I relax the timings and increase the voltage. So you're probably like me. I'm limited at 2.8GHz because my RAM won't go any faster, and you're limited at 2.66GHz for the same reason. You should get new RAM if you want to overclock more.

Have the E2180 and the MSI Neo2-FR. Memory is "GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC)".

Stable at 3GHz and will boot into Windows at 3.2 but is unstable.

Voltage is 1.4, RAM is at its specified 2.1v 4-4-4-12. All other voltages default. RAM speed is divided so it is BELOW 800Mhz (can't remember what exactly). "Spread spectrum" is off.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back