TechSpot

MSI's CX640MX is heaven for righties, hell for lefties

By Matthew
Apr 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hardly a week passes without a new laptop from MSI, but the Taiwanese manufacturer's latest creation strays from the norm by touting a "clutter-free" design. MSI says that most notebooks are careless about their I/O placement, but the company's new CX640MX situates frequently used connectors like USB and HDMI on the left side of the chassis, while the audio jacks and card reader are up front. This allows for obstruction-free mouse use on the right side of the machine.

Read the whole story

2. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,804   +916

Oh well, I already have a laptop that I don't use much, and they broke me of mousing left handed in college. I suppose this doesn't affect me much.

3. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,370   +125

How many left handers use the mouse on the left side?
    I can think of two left handers right now, and they both just use their right hands.

4. I'm a righty, but I prefer to use the mouse with my left hand when working at my job. It's much more efficient to control the mouse with your left hand, leaving your right hand free for 10-keying.

I could never get use to gaming on my left hand though, probably would need to buy a special keyboard designed for lefties first.

5. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 956   +49

I'm left handed, but I mouse/keypad/joystick whathaveyou with my right. *shrug*

6. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Ugh, the HP I have has the USB ports on the bottom right, It's such a pain in the *** to move files and use my mouse.

7. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

I have an HP as well, and broke down and got a USB hub to plug all my stuff into to keep it out of the way. Also had a few to many things attached at once ;-) (wireless mouse, usb speakers, ipod cable, webcam, usb charging cable for usb battery pack)

8. captaincranky

It's actually a sound design strategy being employed with this machine. Build for the majority. Left handers are a small minority. You should see how badly we get punked trying to buy a guitar.

9. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

You're holding it wrong. heh.

10. captaincranky

See, the excuse for stinking at it is built right in! :haha:

11. insect

insect TS Booster Posts: 213   +54

Umm... not sure this is new. My Acer laptop (about one year old, the 7745G) already did all that. Only thing I have on the left side is the USB ports which I use rarely and there is one on the left side also. The CPU and graphics are at the top of the keyboard also.

*shrug* whatever you can market I guess.

12. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 803   +9

but...but...but what if you're.....er......"busy" with your right hand? (aw come on, we all know this joke was bound to make it on the board...I just figured why not go ahead and get it out of the way, lol)

13. captaincranky

Isn't that what Dragon's "Naturally Speaking" software is for? Don't know if it recognizes "ooo" or "ahhh" though.

Better still, just lighten up your grip for moment ,click the play button, and let the WMP work the magic it was designed for..

14. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,568   +103

I'm left handed but use the mouse with my right. Tend to use different hands for different things. Strange like that.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.