msn messenger constantly sending data

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallie_s

Hi,
This just happened in the last day or so. Whenever I open messenger my pc is constantly sending and receiving data. I don't see any other problems arising from this.
I am not picking up any evidence of spyware or virus activity.

I believe I have the latest ver of messenger live. I'm running adaware adwatch, AVG antivirus and have a fixed wireless connection.

I know this is something new as I keep an eye on any activity that might be going on.

Thanks for any ideas you may have,

Wallie

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It does sound a little suspicious.

Go and read this thread HERE, then post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of wallie_s only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Instant messaging programs have to regularly send data to "stay online". It's less traffic than when you're having a conversation (text, audio or video) but it's still present.

I know what you mean Didou, but I too use a messenger programme(Yahoo) and although it does access the net occasionally, it`s not that often, unless of course I`m actually speaking to someone at the time.

Since wallie_s seems to have noticed a change in his messenger behaviour, it`s probably a good idea to run HJT and check the logfile, just in case there`s something untoward lurking.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks, I will download and run the hjt prog.
Sorry but there is something else that I forgot to mention. For a couple of days at startup Lavasoft Ad-watch is telling me of a registry change which looks like this.

03/24/2007 12:08:08 PM - Registry modification detected
Root:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key:Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Value:KernelFaultCheck
Data:
New Data:%systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k

I don't know if this could be related or not. It seems to have started after a failed shutdown of the computer. This is very rare for me so it may mean something.

Thanks
Wallie

This is the log when I ran hijackthis ver 2

Your HJT log is clean.

1. Right click on the Ad-Watch icon in the system tray.
2. At the bottom of the screen there will be two checkable items called "Active" and "Automatic".

Active: This will turn Ad-Watch On\Off without closing it
Automatic: Suspicious activity will be blocked automatically

3. Uncheck both of those boxes.

Just have HJT fix this inactive entry.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Dumprep is the Windows error reporting tool that tells you when there`s been a serious system error, creates minidumps etc and is nothing to worry about.

Re-enable Adwatch.

Thank You Howard.
I did as you suggested but the messenger is still sending and receiving non stop.
The interesting thing is..... if I log in to messenger as a different user it does not keep s&r. If I am not communicating it just sends and receives a bit of data occasionally.
So It seems to be related to my profile somehow. Quite strange.

Thanks again for you help.

Wallie

In that case, I suggest you go HERE and follow the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

This thread is for the use of wallie_s only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I still can`t see anything bad. However, I`d like you to have this checked out over at Jotti`s.

Please visit this link http://virusscan.jotti.org/
* Click the Browse... button
* Navigate to the following file C:\DOCUME~1\wallie\x.exe
* Click Open
* Please let me know the results.

Post an AVG Antispyware log.

Thanks for all the help- All is well

Sorry I have been so long responding. Been super busy for a few days. Yesterday when I fired up my computer my AVG antivirus warned me of a prob with AVG. Uninstalled and reinstalled and presto... all is as it should be.
Thanks again for all your help. This forum is just super.

Wallie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back