Mt. Gox sets up call center after $400 million Bitcoin go missing

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Just a few of days after Mt. Gox filed for bankruptcy, the company announced on Sunday that it has set up a call center to "respond to all inquiries". The call center is set to go into operation on Monday and will only be entertaining calls from 10 AM to 5 PM (Japan time).

Earlier last week, Mt. Gox went completely offline amid rumors of a possible acquisition or insolvency, and on last Friday, during a news conference in Tokyo, CEO Mark Karpeles announced they were filing for bankruptcy protection, acknowledging that the company lost a total of 850,000 Bitcoins (including 100,000 of its own).

While there was a widespread speculation that the funds were stolen, the company blamed  "transaction malleability" -- a Bitcoin vulnerability, for the disappearance. Investors are trying their best to recover the losses. According to Mashable, Edelson PC, a Chicago-based law firm, has filed a class action suit against Mt. Gox on behalf of those US-based investors who lost money.

In addition to the call center announcement, Mt. Gox provided a detailed update regarding its application for commencement of a procedure of civil rehabilitation, which the Tokyo District Court accepted today. "We will fully cooperate with inquiries from authorities and investigations related to this matter, in Japan or overseas", the company said.

Permalink to story.

Great so whilst Filing for bankruptcy Mt Gox is using the $400mill it stole to open call centers and Edelson PC is trying to earn a quick n easy profit from filing a lawsuit which has nothing to do with them or their clients which is another example of greedy lawyers trying to get a quick buck when they only just found out about it and no clients came to them so they decided "hey lets earn money before others try it"

I'm not into cryptocurrency, but at least on the surface it appears they are trying to do the right thing. In Canada we had a $6 Billion gold fraud that involved the guy inspecting the mine mysteriously falling out of the helicopter over remote jungle and a corporate executive who moved to a non-extraditing country in the islands between the USA and Central and South America (can't think of the name of the region at the moment).

I'm not into cryptocurrency, but at least on the surface it appears they are trying to do the right thing. In Canada we had a $6 Billion gold fraud that involved the guy inspecting the mine mysteriously falling out of the helicopter over remote jungle and a corporate executive who moved to a non-extraditing country in the islands between the USA and Central and South America (can't think of the name of the region at the moment).

Trying to do the right thing... Stealing $400mill then blaming it on someone else and setting up a call center when your supposedly meant to be bankrupt isnt doing the right thing... its like the government spending more then they will ever have just because they can its not right to dig yourself into more debt!!!!!

More like
Customer:hi where are my bitcoins?
Mt gox: were using them for this call center even tho we have no money
Customer: when can I have my bitcoins back
Mt gox: never we are keeping them

Poof-gone stolen a half billion US dollars plus ..... Meteoric rise in value should always be followed by meteoric rise in security.

Back