MTV to air 12 hours of music videos to celebrate Independence Day

Shawn Knight

Staff member

mtv independence

Believe it or not, there was once a time when MTV actually played music videos. Hard to believe, I know, but this was many moons ago before YouTube and Vevo became the go-to destinations for music videos on the web. Heck, computers weren't even a big deal back before the television network transitioned from airing music videos to reality shows.

That’s all slated to change tomorrow, however, as MTV will go back to their roots in celebration of Independence Day. From 6 a.m. through 6 p.m., MTV (along with VH1 and CMT) will air nothing but music videos. The network is calling it the ultimate party playlist for fans of pop, country, hip-hop, indie and electronic dance music.

The 12-hour block of music will no doubt be a bit nostalgic for those of us that grew up in the ‘80s and ‘90s – ending just in time to enjoy and celebrate the rest of your evening with friends, family and fireworks.

MTV launched on August 1, 1981, with the Buggles’ hit song Video Killed the Radio Star, forever changing the way we consume music. You have to remember that this was a time when music was an all-analog format, the compact disc wasn’t even commercially available and the web as we know it today couldn’t even be conceived. Before MTV, the television reach of most bands was limited to playing a song or two on late night talk shows or Saturday Night Live.

Permalink to story.

MTV playing music? What I the world coming to? Next they'll be thinking that music is of such importance that they'll make the term eponymous.

'80's and '90's music or nothing. Not the Auto-Tuned garbage produced these days.

MTV should play music videos more... none of that Jersey shore crap. But I guess music videos dont make enough money.

12 hours ? just for that day...

how about the many years we have lost the meaning by the name of the channel ? RTV was once called MTV becouse it send music to all ppl. but about 10 years ago, or more, the reality tv took over and since then the channel didnt play music but reality shows all day.

I was not impressed with MTV when it started but in retrospect I realise it did have some good music tied to classic video. There is plenty of good music but the industry don't support it as it is so much easier relying on X factor etc.

Back