Multi-Line Small Business Phone system that doesn't fail after a year

TorturedChaos

I am trying to find a 4 line phone system that isn't a complete piece of garbage.
I have been using the AT&T SynJ system, which I really liked at first, but after 3 exchanges of the base unit that controls everything, and the 4th one Line 1 &2 are failing, I am done dealing with these. I really liked that fact that the AT&T SynJ system has one master base that all the other bases and cordless phones tether to wireless. The phone wiring in my building is TERRIBLE (splitters piled on splitters, janky wiring) and this allowed me to attached the main base to the source phone it and get rid of 90% of my phone problems. Problem is, the master base that controls EVERYTHING keeps failing.

Also have tried the basic RCA 4 Line expandable phone systems, and they usually last for 2-3yrs or so before they start giving me troubles. I like that I can tether a cordless phone to each base, but then you can only use either the cordless or the base, and you can only pick up a call put on hold on phone 1 on cordless 1 (the cordless tethered to that phone). And you need a phone hookup for every base, so I am back to dealing with my janky phone system again.

I have tried looking at VOIP systems, but I only need like 4 phones, and a few cordless and VOIP seems like over kill. Also, the entry level VOIP systems do not seem like quality.

So can anyone recommend a 4 line phone system (actually only need 3 lines, but they seem to come in 2 or 4) that:
  • Doesn't completely break the bank.
  • I don't like that idea of a VOIP subscription service. If I cancel my traditional phone lines my fiber internet server charge goes up substantially.
  • I would be fine with an internal PBX or VOIP system that I attached to my existing phone lines. Preferably something that isn't too hard to setup. My knowledge of networking is ok, but telephony is slim.
  • A wireless setup like the AT&T SynJ would be nice, but I can always run Ethernet drops to the locations I need phone.
  • I don't need voicemail, or call forwarding or most of the extra features that these systems poorly offer.
  • Being able to put decent hold music on or even just switch to to a periodic "beep" would be nice (SynJ gives you really BAD default hold music, and trying to record something in or pipe an audio stream into the system resulted in WORSE quality. Turning hold music off left me with dead air, and people thought we hung up on them when we put them on hold)
Anyone have a recommendation?
(Sorry if any of this came off as a rant. I am PISSED at this stupid phone system, and my Googling has found a very poor selection of more crappy phone setups)

Back