Multi-OS PC Storage Query

annms

I already have Windows Xp SP 3 installed on my hard drive. I am buying another hard drive and am planning to install Windows 7 Professional on it without uninstalling Xp from the first one. So, I had 3 queries. Namely:

1. Is what I'm doing correct or rather should I do this?
  2. If I do it, will I be able to access data (obviously not the softwares, just the data) stored in the first drive while working on Windows 7 Professional?
  3. If what I am doing is not right, can I uninstall windows from the first without losing my files(again, of course except the installed software)?
Thank you to everyone who replies in advance.

P.S. Unrelated question but does Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00 Ghz support Windows 7 Professional 64 bit?

1. Yep, you can do this. Put in the new hard drive, boot from Win 7 install media. Click install, and then select your new drive. Installing the newer OS after the old OS is the appropriate way to do things, it is more complicated if you already had 7 and wanted to install XP. 7 will notice XP is there and you will have a boot menu on boot where you choose 7 or 'earlier version of windows'.
2. Yes. You may have to take ownership if you change your login name/password.
3. If you follow #1, #3 isn't an issue. If for whatever reason everything hits the fan, just as long as you don't format the drive the files will be there. If it ever did come to this I would recommend copying the files to your new HD temporarly while you still have a lot of space on it. Then formatting the old one and putting some or all of the files back if you need the extra space.

Yes, that processor is fine for 7 Pro 64.

Tha
1. Yep, you can do this. Put in the new hard drive, boot from Win 7 install media. Click install, and then select your new drive. Installing the newer OS after the old OS is the appropriate way to do things, it is more complicated if you already had 7 and wanted to install XP. 7 will notice XP is there and you will have a boot menu on boot where you choose 7 or 'earlier version of windows'.
2. Yes. You may have to take ownership if you change your login name/password.
3. If you follow #1, #3 isn't an issue. If for whatever reason everything hits the fan, just as long as you don't format the drive the files will be there. If it ever did come to this I would recommend copying the files to your new HD temporarly while you still have a lot of space on it. Then formatting the old one and putting some or all of the files back if you need the extra space.

Yes, that processor is fine for 7 Pro 64.
Thank you for the detailed answer. Feeling a lot comfortable now. (y)

Back