Multi-Router hookup Crisis...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh, I don't know anything! And i'm realising that more and more as I fiddle around with my routers...

Anyways, i'm trying to have two routers running off the same ''Internets''.

I have a Linksys Wireless-G Router (2.4ghz) and a regular Ethernet Linksys Router.

Here is what I would like:

Have the wireless one (in the Family Room) being connected directly from the little cable box (it already was and works fine).

But, now I have an 80foot Ethernet cord going straight to my room from one of the ports on my Wireless router. (And another port on my Wireless router is reserved for the computer in the family room).

And here is what I did so far with that:

I plugged in my 80foot ethernet cord into one of the ports (not the internet port, left that one empty) into my regular Ethernet Linksys Router. And then I have the computer in my room, my PS3 and 360 connected to that router with the 3 other available ports.

It didnt work. SO, I took the router from my room and brought it into the Family Room and plugged it into the little Cable box directly and configured the Router (192.168.1.1) site. And turned off the Regular Ethernet Routers DHCP.

Brought it back and it worked (sorta), well now it doesnt.

SO Short-Version question:

-What do I need to do in order to have my wireless router (fully function) connect to my ethernet router in the other room and have my ethernet router work as an access point for all my crap in my room?!

Its drivin me nuts!

Help! Thanks!

First you need a special network lead called a 'Cross-Over', the pin configurations are different allowing the two routers to talk to each other. Depending on the strength of the network socket on each router you might have problems due to cable length, I would get it all working on a short lead first.

You are correct to switch DHCP off on the second router, also make sure it is not trying to establish a DSL connection as it will not have the RJ11 (BT Line) going into it.

You shall need to manually configure the IP details on the wired router to match your DHCP issued IPs, make sure that you tell the DHCP server on the wireless box not to use the address that you assign to the wired router.

Use a static IP for router#2

Try reviewing another post which addressed the same problem -- https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic15071.html

Make sure that you properly set up your IP address for the 2nd router. Your wireless router probably has 192.168.1.1 as it's IP address. Your second router must be assigned a static IP address that within the subnet of the wireless router. This could be something line 192.168.1.2. This static IP should not be within the DHCP range being used by the wireless unit.

You were correct to not use the WAN port on the 2nd router. DHCP must also be disabled on router#2 since the wireless router will handle all DHCP services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back