Multiple active users via 1 PC .......

Status
Not open for further replies.
this might be a silly question, but i was just wondering if you could have one main server running XP and then off the network multiple users that allows for internet access etc ... and equipment wise just a LCD, keyboard and mouse at each location....

Regards,
Aaron.

Any particular reason for this?

It can be a real pain in tha backside to set up, and not knowing you ability level, I should mention that it's not a task for beginners. There may be a better way of doing what you need to, depending on what that is

hey spike did you get your singnature off House?

So let me get this strait he want's computer "host" "different" profiles for each lcd/keyboard and mouse?

Like having 5 users on one computer?

He want's a number of dumb machines running off one server - like they do in college campus' sometimes. Nothing on each terminal except an interface to the main one (hence, just keyboard monitor and mouse).

XP doesn't perform domain controller tasks anyway, so a remote profile would require 2k server, 2k3 server, or similar.

I didn't get it off House though, I don't know what House even is :p

ok .........

I have a server that looks after my mp3's and camaras etc .... then i have a main computer in the study and am looking at putting screens in three of the bedrooms just for internet browsing etc ....

If there is a better way even better, thanks for the info so far !

Regards,
Aaron

Well, one option is to use a low-spec computers where you want one, network it in and use a remote desktop application :) It's only the main computer that would be doing the work, and so the low spec computer really only needs to be able to run XP half decently (a 333MHz machine with 256MB ram would probably be sufficient for that purpose.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back