Multiple Boot WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

darby26

Hi,

I have had a lot of trouble with my PC lately and I have reparied Windows a few times....I have also had to install Windows into a new folder 3 times so when my PC boots up...I have to choose which install I want to use.

My question os....how do I get rid of the ones that dont work and keep the on that does?

Can I just delete the folders?Any assistance would be much appreicated.

Thanks
darby26 :p

Hi,

This is in the boot.ini.backup

Hope this helps

Thanks
darby26

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS1
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS1="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

According to your boot.ini you only have two XP installations.
Change it to look like:

[boot loader]
timeout=0 <<== 0 will stop the menu from showing
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS1
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS1="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

In boot.ini, delete the line with WINDOWS and keep WINDOWS1

From the harddisk, delete the directory c:\windows (this is the old, faulty version).

I am also having the same problem also. However, I don't know if it loads """" this because it gives me two options but the first one is blank. 2 seconds later the computer automatically chooses one. here is my boot thing.
[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS=""

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back