TechSpot

Multiple displays in WinXP Home Ed.

By nilesp
Mar 28, 2006
  1. I've haven't been able to run multiple displays since I got a new computer with Home Ed. preinstalled. I'd thought it was just a bug and that the issue would resolve itself with later Catalyst drivers.

I recently did a reinstall and thought I'd try and see if anything new had happened with my problem. It hadn't but I happened to click the troubleshoot option and through answering various of the questions got the simple answer: WinXP Home Ed does not support multiple displays.

Is this something that you can bypass through some program/tweak?

Thanks
    /Emil H

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

I fail to find any concrete information saying Windows XP home edition doesn't support multi-monitors.

Does your VGA card have multiple outputs or are you using two VGA cards ?

3. nilesp

nilesp TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 23

I have a radeon 850XT with the latest catalyst.
    The troubleshooting guide said so although I did not find anything about it on microsoft.com...

/Emil

4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

I take it your card has two outputs (either VGA/DVI or DVI/DVI). Do you have a monitor hooked up to each output ?

5. nilesp

nilesp TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 23

One output is tv-out and one is dvi (though with a vga-dvi converter since I have a viewsonic p225f crt monitor).

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.