Multiple drives with out RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.

THERAP1ST

Ok I know this has probably been done, but I would like to know and I didn't see anything like it. What I would like to do is have one 74gb WD 10k drive for loading games and things and 250gb WD 7200 drive for storage of thing like music movies and things that won't benifit as much from a 10k drive. I think this like a Master and Slave drive, right?

Yes just set up the drives as 74GB master on ide0 and you could put the 250GB on ide1 as secondary master.

Ok so I should be able to have this drive for games and windows with this drive for storage and such with out having any problems or loss of space.

There is no 'IDE' Raptor drive (10,000 RPM 74GB by WD, which I'm assuming you're taking about).

Since it is not IDE, that means it is SATA. SATA does not use the master/slave stuff... That old idea is pushing up daisies now.

You're 250GB drive could very well by a PATA drive though (IDE). The idea would be then to have your SATA drive connected to the SATA port (no master or slave needed here.. one port.. one drive) and your 250GB PATA drive set as master (single without slave) on your IDE port.

You could also have SATA drive or even an external USB/Firewire drive if you choose to do so. If it is SATA, you'll need a 2nd SATA port since they don't share ports like IDE does.

THERAP1ST said:
Ok so I should be able to have this drive for games and windows with this drive for storage and such with out having any problems or loss of space.

Those drives are both SATA. The only thing you need is two SATA ports and you're in business.

Putting a fresh install of Windows on a SATA drive usually requires drivers in the form of a floppy disk... Just a reminder. :)

So with this mobo I 'll have enough SATA ports right.

Rick said:
Putting a fresh install of Windows on a SATA drive usually requires drivers in the form of a floppy disk... Just a reminder. :)

Please explain. Or will CD ROM work as well.

THERAP1ST said:
So with this mobo I 'll have enough SATA ports right.

Please explain. Or will CD ROM work as well.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823613/en-us

Here's what Microsoft has to say about this.

RAID or SCSI Controller Card
If you have a RAID or SCSI controller card installed in your computer, follow these steps:
1. Contact the manufacturer of your controller card and obtain the latest Windows XP driver for your card.
2. Create an installation disk for the controller card drivers on a 3.5-inch disk.
3. Start Windows XP Setup.
4. You receive the following message:
Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver
When you receive this message, press the F6 key, and then follow the instructions that appear on the screen to install the third-party drivers for your controller card.

A CDROM will not work, but an external USB floppy will. Not sure about a thumbdrive... I tried it once and it didn't work. A new motherboard with built-in SATA + RAID will come with its own driver diskette which you can use. SATA without RAID may not require the drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back