Multiple games crashing. HF2, Doom3, video card issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, for the past few months, I have been having problems with games crashing. Over the summer, I upgraded my computer with a new stick of 512 MB RAM, (as far as I know identical to the other), a GeForce 6600 GT (Video BIOS Version 5.43.02.39), and a new 450 Watt power supply. After doing this, my computer grew very unstable. Eventually, I tried reformatting my hardrive, and starting over (my version of windows XP at this time was cracked and I had lots of cracked software on my pc), I started over with a new, licensed version of Windows XP, with all my new hardware. MY PC continues to be unstable.

Periodically, I get strange red lines flying off of things on my screen, then they flutter and go away. Also my computer reboots randomnly and when I send the error report it says it was caused by a device driver.

All my device drivers are up to date. I've reinstalled my Nvidia drivers and everything else many times. Half Life 2 crashes after a few minutes of play. Doom 3 won't let me play for more than 1 minute and a half before crashing. I've attached an error message I've received with HF2, looks like an error with some point in memory. I can't seem to find a solution for all this madness.

I also had problems with IE. An error message came up about Dr. Watsons PostMortem Debugger. I have no idea what's going on. I've done many scans and all adware on my computer is deleted. No viruses have shown up either.

I AM PERPLEXED!

HELP!!!!!

Attachments

• half-life-2-error.gif
    half-life-2-error.gif
    26 KB · Views: 6
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

First, go HERE and follow the instructions for testing your ram.

If that doesn`t help, then zip 5 or 6 minidumps together and post them here.

Instructions on where to find your minidumps etc, can be found in the above thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Did you test your ram?

Have you tried running your computer with just the original stick of ram?

Your minidumps are crashing with various errors, including memory corruption.

It`s got to be something to do with the additions to your computer.

Maybe it`s the video ram that`s bad.

Regards Howard :)

I tested my RAM and I got some errors. On every pass through the 7th test, I got errors:

TST---PASS-------FAILING ADDRESS--------GOOD----------BAD
7-------0----------0003833e508-899.8 MB-------58e27d47------58e07d47
7-------0----------000389ee508-905.8 MB-------4067e012------4065e012
7-------1----------00038f9e508-911.8 MB-------7af28417-------7af08417

ERRBITS---------Count Chann
00020000--------1
00020000---------1
00020000----------1

I did add a RAM stick when I upgraded my PC in August, but I'm pretty sure it is identical stuff to my other one. I'll try taking it out and seeing what happens this weekend. Also I tried feeling my video card after playing HF2 and it felt pretty warm, could it be my vid card overheating?

My 2 cents worth.

If it's memory compatability issue, run CPU-Z (download here:http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php, it will tell you what exactly your 2 sticks are.

Ok, now for the game, HL2, you can set the hunkmegs to half your RAM size.
on the short cut, r click/properties/target/add this after: -hunkmegs 512 , where 512 is half your RAM size? (1Gb?).

In Doom3 you can open your cfg file in notepad and do search for hunkmegs, edit it there. This greatly improves the smoothness of the game and maybe help reduce memory errors (not refreshing so fast).

If you have memory probs Howard_Hopkinso is the one to help you, I just put my 2 cents in about the game stuff.

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna try to take back the new RAM, if I can find the damn receipt. It's the same exact type of RAM, but it must be bad. I'll try this first.

Thanks

Took out my newest stick of RAM, and I played half life for 3 hours without a problem. I think I found the cuplrit behind the games crashing. We'll see if the other symptoms disappear. Thanks alot for helping me troublshoot this. I appreciate it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back