TechSpot

Multiple programs are stopping to work, also, I don't appear to have had or ever have a virus.

By elsaJean
Sep 4, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. So, I recently bought an Asus UX31a running windows 8(in may) and it was working perfectly until a couple months ago. The only browser that works is internet explorer, which is disgusting (I miss Google Chrome) and several programs such as Adobe reader, Google drive, steam and visual studio either lag for about 5 mins each whenever I want to use them (or click something in them), or I have to close them with the task manager because they aren't responding...(This includes when I want to open pdf documents in internet explorer.

I've run several virus checks with ESET smart security which hasn't ever found any viruses...

It would be a great help if anybody could help me find what the problem is.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,065   +169

Try using a new Windows Restore point. This may not work because of "it was working perfectly until a couple months ago"... It is most likely caused from a stubborn malware infection other than a virus

3. elsaJean

elsaJean TS Rookie Topic Starter

I discovered when trying to do what you've suggested that I haven't actually backed my computer up since I got it...and so that's basically a fresh install of windows that I would back it up to...I want that to be the last case senario.

But since I posted this, I've been playing around with things for a while and uninstalled my anti-virus software and now everything seems to be working again...so that's good!

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,516   +336

Interesting - - WHICH A/V did you just uninstall?

5. elsaJean

NOD32 ESET smart security...It's a bit weird because my family have been using this for years without any problems until now.

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,516   +336

ESET may not be Win/8 Certified would be my guess.

7. elsaJean

That could definitely be the reason, yes

8. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,855   +185

Eset is win 8 certified. I use it in win 8 with no problem. My guess is your settings were not set right.

elsaJean likes this.
  9. elsaJean

That could definitely also be the case, yes. The version I was using was a trial and every time I tried to conduct a virus scan it wouldn't be able to actually access any of my files... So that's slightly awkward. But oh well, I'll it try again another time when I'm not being killed by uni work...

10. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,855   +185

Good luck and hope it works for you.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.