Multiple Stop Errors on XP Laptop - no new installs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've seen several posts regarding some of the various stop erros:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
BAD_POOL_ERROR
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

I just started getting these on my Dell XP Laptop. I haven't recently installed any new drivers and/or software, hardware. The laptop was working fine then I woke up in the morning (after leaving it on all night) with the IRQL stop error. I rebooted the laptop and got the Bad Pool error. Rebooted again and got the next error.

I've not done any sort of technical work on a laptop before so I'm not sure what to do. The other posts mention replacing the fan and memory but I wouldn't know the first thing about doing that in a laptop. It also has been mentioned to start in safe mode.

Is this something that I can fix on my own with proper research or should I just give up and try to find someone to repair it? Will I lose everything that is on the hard drive? I haven't backed it up before, so that's my bad.

Appreciate any advice or direction.
Thanks.

Thanks, I'm not sure how to run the memtest and/or boot off a CD.

Seems like this is already above and beyong my skill level. Should I send my laptop off for repair?

Hey, claraka...I'm new here myself but I came here earlier this week too because of a stop error issue like yours that I too had had-the "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" variety. Anyway, long story short...I joined here and I want to share with you-and apparently others with similar problems like this- my solution. Since you have xp, as I do, you can go to a restore point prior to when you started getting these errors and it will take you back to before you had these and it can probably eliminate your condition that you picked up somewhere along the line. My issue had started about a week and a half ago and so I went back to a point before then and I chose to go back a bit to a month ago and bingo...all is well. Best to you, I hope this works for you...Let us know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back