Multiple unexpected reboots - replaced mobo, ram, PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dell Optiplex 755 w/ stock components
2GB RAM
Windows XP SP3

I have a user who is experiencing random unexpected reboots. Dell is adamant that it is a software problem, which I am starting to believe since they have already replaced the motherboard, power supply, and RAM and the problems are persisting, albeit not as frequently as before.

I have run through the steps in the "before posting your minidumps..." message but just this past Saturday the user had another crash. I have attached the latest minidumps, any advice is greatly appreciated before I wipe her hard drive and reinstall everything.

All 5 errors are 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

The problem is that all five minidumps also stated that the faulty driver could not be read. They only gave the Windows OS driver wim32k.sys as the probable cause but with Windows drivers they are too general to be of much help.

Question: What security software is he running?

We use Microsoft Forefront.

Scan for infections by using ESET's NOD32 free online scanner. You'll need to allow them to load their Active X. This is completely safe to do so and NOD32 is one of the very best Antiviruses.

* Let us know of the results.

OK, I ran the online scanner:

Files scanned: 776,496
Threats found: 0
Total scan time: 01:05:59
Scan status: Finished

Any other ideas? Thanks.

1. Run a harddrive diagnostic by utilizing the free tool supplied by your HD manufacturer that you can get off their website. Dell should be able to tell you the make of your harddrive.

2. Run ChkDsk in your Run box. Pay attention to Stage 2 and tell us if has recovered any lost files. This test moves fast.

3. What firewall is installed?

4. Is his connection to the internet wired or wireless?

5. Is he running any software such as Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120%, etc?

6. Check his video card, etc. to see if they are set correctly.

Also, Have you used or looked at the event viewer logs? They may tell you a great deal more about the error. Right click My Computer and choose Manage. In the left pane expand the event viewer and look at System and Application errors that are logged. Hilight the errors with a red x to learn more about them. Does it blue screen at random or only when running certain applications/programs?

1. I did not mention this previously but when the Dell tech was here replacing the hardware he did run hard drive tests and found no problems
2. I just ran chkdsk now and it found no errors / lost files
3. There is no firewall, we behind redundant Cisco Pix firewalls and disable Windows firewall via group policy
4. No emulation software installed
5. Video card drivers are at the latest version

Any other ideas? I think I might just wait until after tax season (we are an accounting firm) and rebuild her workstation. Thanks.

1. Run a harddrive diagnostic by utilizing the free tool supplied by your HD manufacturer that you can get off their website. Dell should be able to tell you the make of your harddrive.

2. Run ChkDsk in your Run box. Pay attention to Stage 2 and tell us if has recovered any lost files. This test moves fast.

3. What firewall is installed?

4. Is his connection to the internet wired or wireless?

5. Is he running any software such as Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120%, etc?

6. Check his video card, etc. to see if they are set correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back