Multiple Volume Controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

retexan599

A very elementary layman's question:

With computer sound, there are multiple and apparently independent volume controls: For example: Windows Media Player has a volume control, the computer sound card has a sound control, and my external speakers have their own volume control. Do these work in series and are they really independent of each other? Is it better to have a high volume setting inside the computer with low volume externally, or vice versa? I am a little naive about this. Would appreciate some learning about this. Thanks.

usually the volume from your onboard sound device/card or an add on sound card volume control is usually sync'd with your system volume. Volume from your players, wmp,itunes,winamp etc are independent by default. I usually only use system volum controls to mess with sound, or you'll wind up changing your volumes for your player devices quite often. Some songs or media files may be louder than others.

I run my Windows o.s.'s sound @ 100%. Then run my devices like I want. That way if I want to get a good volume boost for a good guitar solo or whatever, I know that I've got all the reserve available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back