Multiplier wont change in Bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKJay15

I was working on Over clocking my Amd Athlon 64 3200+ Venice and i was in the Bios and i know i cant step up to multiplier but i can step it down (below 10x, the original max multiplier) but, it seems that whenever i turn it from automatic to manual control and reconfigure the multiplier it wont save the changes and just automaticly revert back to the max multiplier. I just wanted to know if anyone knew what the problem is?

Specs:
Windows XP Home SP2
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
ASrock 939Dual-SATA2
Bios Info (taken from Sisoft Sandra):
Maunfact.: American Megatrends Inc.
Version:8.12
SMBios/DMI version: 2.30

Thanks alot in advance. :)

Multipliers are "locked", they can only be lowered from the max stock multi on a64 cpus. A "FX" series chip however, can have a multiplier increased above standard. To oc an a64, use the htt speed(stock of 200mhz, sometimes referred to as a "fsb".)

(^cpu-z on the above pic shows, the multi value, htt speed, and final cpu speed)

Yah, thats what ive been doing, but i also read that you can lower the multiplier so you can raise the FSB or HTT even more to get a faster transfer, the only problem is i change it to a lower multiplier like 9x or 8x, exit and save changes but when my comp boots up again and i open CPU-z the multiplier is still at 10x.

I tried stepping down to both, but the problem im having is that the bios for some reason wont save the settings and it just reverts back to the 10x multiplier, which is the default. Im also wondering if the Bootguard option on the Mobo is doing this cause it may detect it as a faulty setting or something?

Hmm, not sure what the bootguard does. You don't have the clear cmos jumper jumped do you? Will it take any settings at all, or just not the cpu multi? Have you tried updating your bios(if bios update is available)?

My cmos jumper isnt jumped and i have upped the FSB/HTT to 215, which is the max ive been able to get with this multi but i havent tried updating the bios. Also, im pretty sure bootguard is there to help the system protect it self from loading "faulty" settings which could cause it to crash or something. Im not sure if that is correct, if anyone knows about that i would also like to know that :D

Also, thanks for all your help on this Vnf4. :)

Can't you get a decent oc at your stock multi?
I've seen people get pretty good oc's on your board model, so I doubt it's the board's issue(I guess it could be a bios problem, that could be solved by bios update). I think the user here "Mirob" has the same board and a high oc. He might be able to help, if he's willing.

Yah, ive maxed it at 2.15 ghz stable, i had 2.25 running but not so stable, i just wanted to see if i could squeeze a bit more out by lowering the multi and upping the FSB/HTT, im gonna try a bios update (if theres one available).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back