Multiplier wont change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, new to overclocking and need a little help. In my bios it allows me to change the multiplier but cpu-z shows it as 11.5 no matter what I change it to. So bios will show it as 16.5 but cpu-z shows it as 11.5. What can I do to get this to work. My motherboard is a Asus A7V8X-X and cpu is AMD 2600+ Barton. My stock speeds seem to be way off its clocked at 1.5 ghz but I can choose 1.9 ghz with no problems. I've tried changing the the cpu frequency but this method makes my pc a little unstable. Thanks in advance.

The multiplier is locked you cannot change it & that CPU is supposed to run 1.9GHz.

yeah I found some useful info on the problem here. So I'm looking for a mobile athlon xp 2600+ or higher for a socketA motherboard any suggestions of where I can get one?

They're quite hard to find now. Maybe on eBay you could find a few but then again I don't really trust eBay for hardware purchases.

most athlon XP chips are locked now. It would be hard to find one now on ebay that is unlocked and still worth a darn. I sold a couple of XP chips on ebay from an older system and they went for big bucks. I don't overlock anymore due to my first CPU frying, so I can see why people would want good overclocking chips.

just a question...do modern mobile chips have thier multipliers locked? I havent own a laptop in quite a while..

by definition, mobile chips can clock down or clock up depending on usage. This is why mobile chips are most coveted for overclocking. HOWEVER, mobile chips are NOT as durable as desktop chips. Many mobile chips are simply desktop chips that did not pass desktop standards and the manufactuer decided not to lock them and use them instead in laptops where heavy use is not as common.

That's not quite true, I don't think mobile parts are desktop parts that failed a certain validation process. They might be more heat sensitive but that's because they use different transistors.

Laptop CPUs generaly use less leakage prone transistors that cannot scale as high in clockspeed thus they heat less but can't overclock as well as desktop chips. That's pretty much the only difference as far as the AthlonXP/64s go. It's different on the Intel side except for the upcoming chips which are all based on the Core architecture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back