Mup.sys Freeze up

Status
Not open for further replies.

stagg73

I am trying to boot in safe mode in order to delete a pagefile.sys that is corrupated. However, when I try to boot into safemode, it freezes at the Mup.sys file. Does anyone know why this might be or have suggestions about how I can work around thi?

Many thanks

Boot into the Recovery Console and delete the pagefile from there.

Mup.sys does not really have to be the culprit. It is just the last system file loaded and displayed before Windows itself coming up.

One of my problems is that I can't delete the pagefile.sys in the recovery mode. It says I don't have access, either that or I don't know how to do it. DO you have any tips on how to delete pagefile.sys in recovery?

Boot from the XP CD. Choose to repair your Windows XP installation using Recovery Mode.
"cd \", "copy boot.ini pagefile.sys", "del pagefile.sys", "exit"

when i try the above it says the path or file specificed is not valid. Can you enter in exactly what i should type after the C:\>?

Thanks!

When you finally get to the recovery console prompt, you are sitting in X:\WINDOWS where X is your system drive. I assume it's C for you.

You do something like that:
Code:
cd \
copy boot.ini pagefile.sys
del pagefile.sys
exit

The first line goes to the root of C: where the pagefile is located by default. You may have changed the location of course..
The second line copies the boot.ini file over the pagefile. We have to do this, because the recovery console will never admit the existence of the real pagefile.sys. boot.ini has to be located in c:\ of course. You can use any other existing file to overwrite the pagefile, a la "copy c:\windows\explorer.exe pagefile.sys"
The third line deletes the fake pagefile.sys we ended up with.
The fourth line exits the recovery console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back