Must see: 10,000 falling dominoes arranged to function as a basic computer

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Domino falling videos are commonplace on YouTube with plenty of really impressive setups to check out. But I’d be willing to be that you’ve never seen a domino setup that doubles as a computer that’s capable of adding solving math problems.

The clip is a bit lengthy at more than 22 minutes long but it’s certainly worth the watch. As you’ll see, Matt Parker uses more than 10,000 dominoes to create a circuit that can take any two four-digit binary numbers and return the five-digit binary sum.

Everything doesn’t go exactly according to plan but it’s impressive nevertheless.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

I watch videos like this and wonder why I didn't choose to major in one of the sciences. Much more exciting projects to be had in these fields than in business finance.

In any event, well done!

They never said it in the description but I'm fairly sure that they used a song from deamau5's album "4x4 =12". The irony almost makes it okay for not giving him credit....almost

Back