MWC 2016 Round-Up: Hands-on with the Galaxy S7, LG G5, Xperia X and more

Scorpus

Staff member

We're on the show floor at MWC 2016 and took the time to check out some of the biggest smartphone launches: the Samsung Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge, the LG G5 and its removable slot-loading battery, the Xperia X range, and the all new Elite x3 Windows Phone from HP.

There's more to see in the video, but here are some quick thoughts on each handset:

• The LG G5's metal body is a nice change over the G4, but I don't think the removable battery or the other slot accessories are particularly compelling
  • The Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge are both beautiful devices, and even though nothing about these phones is really surprising or innovative, they're extremely well made and performance is great.
  • The Xperia X stands out from the crowd with new camera features, including predictive autofocus and ultra-fast camera launching.
  • The Xperia X Performance is even better than the X because it swaps the Snapdragon 650 for a flagship Snapdragon 820, adding in water proofing as well
  • The Xperia XA has beautifully slim bezels and a surprisingly nice feel to it, although the specification list is nothing to get excited by.
  • The HP Elite x3 is the first truly compelling Windows 10 Mobile handset, making great use of Continuum in a product aimed at the enterprise.

Good old LG. Right now, over here at least you can pick up a brand new G4 for half the original price to clear inventory for the G5. Not that I'll be doing that but it goes to show if you don't have to have the latest and greatest there'll always be a good deal to be had. I'm interested in seeing how much Samsung is going to reduce the price of the S6.

Did the guy in the vid say the Samsung is the better smart phone. Wasn't so smart it could keep fingerprints off that metal housing and stop it looking tacky. Nothing worse.

I get the modular phone may sound gimmicky, but it has potential, a removable battery for a charged one , all it needs a dock for those batteries so you can always have one on full power ready for a split second switch.

LG at least seems to be playing a Smarter game, and being an ex LG G2 owner, I know LG make a nice product.

The Samsung screams " I am a girls phone !" for they can take it out of their bag and do their make up in that awful reflective surface. Nasty. If any of your male friends are seen with an Samsung S club 7... I urge you to mock them :)

After reviewing my options I will be holding out for Note 6. My S4 has served me well and put up with my careless usage and while still runs everything perfectly (I don't game on my phone) the camera and few other features such as heat issues are a problem.

Good old LG. Right now, over here at least you can pick up a brand new G4 for half the original price to clear inventory for the G5. Not that I'll be doing that but it goes to show if you don't have to have the latest and greatest there'll always be a good deal to be had. I'm interested in seeing how much Samsung is going to reduce the price of the S6.

They won't. Samsung matched and then over-took Apple in douchiness, some time ago. They truly think their sh*t doesn't stink and that they make the best of everything, in every segment in which they compete.

They won't. Samsung matched and then over-took Apple in douchiness, some time ago. They truly think their sh*t doesn't stink and that they make the best of everything, in every segment in which they compete.
Depends on the market. Maybe not in the States but over here they do. I don't know about Apple, I don't take any note of them apart from what I read here.

Notice how the words pretty, beautiful, stunning are played about this year.
Once again, the phone manufacturers are going after DESIGN or as I like to
call it FASHION, over function. They make them "pretty" because for a lot of
women, hipsters, metrosexuals, phones, which they never put down, always
having them clutched in their hands, they ARE a fashion accessory. I guess
next year the norm will be embedded diamonds, rubies, sapphires, inlay or
something. Of course with "pretty" comes a pretty HIGH price.
No thanks, I'll stick with the middle of the road devices that work perfectly,
have a better battery life, than all these over priced, over hyped toys.

Back