Mx 4000

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Smee

G' Day

I was just wondering how good the geforce MX 4000 is wether its worth my wile to upgrade now to a Radeon 9600xt 256mb (I own the mx 4000)

Originally posted by El_Smee
G' Day

I was just wondering how good the geforce MX 4000 is wether its worth my wile to upgrade now to a Radeon 9600xt 256mb (I own the mx 4000)

You mean GeForce MX 400? I think you do...

Yeah, I would say it's worth it to upgrade to a 9600xt... it is better...

But the GeForce MX 400 is also a really awesome card. I used to have it on my 1.8GHz P4 and I played a really nice smooth game of WarCraft III...

But which one is it that you've got?

GeForce 4 MX 400?
GeForce 2 MX 400?

Last I heard Nvidia had released several new MX cards, which might include an MX4000...

As for upgrading... I'd wait a little while more if I were you (unless you're getting terrible performance in your games). ATi and Nvidia are about to release their next gen cards in a month or so, which should press prices down a bit more.

But as for the card, you'll get excellent performance out of it compared to what you've got! The 9600xt is a very nice card, which can run most of todays games with 2x AA/AF. There's a very good review here (it's by Brent over @ Hard|OCP, who is doing quite good reviews imo)

Hmmmmmmmmmm
I run my MX 4000 throught 3dmark 03

i tested it wid

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ @ 2170 MHZ
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000
Microsoft Windows XP
Gigabyte K7 Triton
1 gb Ram @ 333mhz
120GB ATA Hardrive

3D Mark 03 = 210

I was quite disapointed wid this mark but im not an expert (this is a bad mark isnt it???)

It is a bad mark yes...
But then, you don't exactly have a very good card either... The rest of the system is good though...

So the 9600xt would be a nice edition to your rig :)

Smee, i'd deffinately recommend you buy a 9600 XT, if your a gamer, and im sure you are, then you'll realise that games like Doom 3/Half Life 2 are gonna demand from you one hell of a beasty system, and quite frankly a DX8 card like the MX400's just wont hack it, my advice to you would be to get a 9600 now while their cheap (£130 for an Asus 9600 XT) or wait for a bit like Garilablidi said untill the new wave of Next Gen cards hit the market and the prices come tumbling down.

Saying that, when the 9800's came out and they stopped making the 9700 (what i have) the remaining 9700's that retailers had didnt come down in price, they went up!

So, its up to :)

I don't think the same will happen with the 9600 xt's...

The 9700pro was supersceded by the 9800pro, and thus they had stopped producing the 9700pro.

When ATI releases the R420, they most likely release a high-end card (around 300) and one top-end (around 4-500), but wait before they release the rest of the new family. This is because it'll enable the AIB's to sell the rest of their R3x0 stock.

Thus we'll see a decrease in price for the current generation.

It's all speculation of course, but going by prev generations, I don't think I'm too far off :)

Well the MX4000 is a slightly higher clocked geforce 4MX which is a slightly clocked version of the geforce 2 MX 400. So what you've got there is a DX 7 card. Rather horrible by today's standards of a bottom range video card even. So to answer your question, yes the Radeon 9600XT will be a great addition to your rig. I would highly reccomend a video card upgrade. You'll notice the difference right away.

A.

It may run DX9, as DX9 is desigend to be backwards compatible with older VPU's, but its not a DirectX 9 graphics card, you will not be able to utilise some of the advanced features which DX9 features like the advanced pixel shader.

I'd deffinately recommend you get an ATI card, im not going back to nVidia now, i find ATI boards to be better in most ever way, even down to the website and drivers distribution, nVidia release new drivers almost on a weekly basis, most of which arent WHQL tested, ATI on the other hand release new Drivers in good time, and the actual drivers are ALWAYS WHQL tested and are always of high quality.

Re: Re: Mx 4000

Originally posted by XtR-X
You mean GeForce MX 400? I think you do...

But the GeForce MX 400 is also a really awesome card.

No, it's not. Warcraft III is much more CPU oriented than video card orientated. Great game, by the way. :)

Infact, the performance it offers would have been good about 3-4 years ago. Now its just a good 2D card. ;)

And I believe your 3DMark says it all....

A 9600XT is going to be many times faster. Not 50% or 75% faster.. Many times. You may want to wait another month or two because prices will drop considerably (if you are on a budget). Otherwise, the XT is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back