my 2 sata hard disks are showing up as unkown devices and wont boot

By leighton29
Mar 29, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, I am a tech virgin and I have never posted anything on a tech board so please be gentle. ;)
    My husband has a dell dimension 8300 set up with 2 Seagate Barracuda 120 SATA hard drives with a Promise Fasttrack 5150 TX plus Raid set for 0. When we booted it up last week it failed. When we checked the drives on the f12 menu the first 1 passed but the second aborted the diagnostic. So my husband pulled out the drives to check the connections. Now neither one is showing up. It says 0 devices under primary and secondary. In the set up menu the sata drives are labeled unknown device.

First questions is. How do I check to see if the one drive died or if it is both? I downloaded a self booting diagnostic tool from Seagate onto a floppy but it wont boot. I am unsure where to start. Any suggestions for the terminally thick?

thank you
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.