My 3d Mark 2003 score looks a little low

By legolas52
Jan 9, 2006
  1. I have an AMD Athlon 2400+, 512 mb ram ddr, 120 gig hd, and a 256 mb ati 9550 graphics card.

I ran 3rd Mark 2003 and I got a score of 2372. I saw other users getting 7000, 8000, on these forums. Is there something wrong? I've noticed poor performance in some games also...What do you suggest? Thanks a lot!
  2. Vaerilis

Vaerilis TS Rookie Posts: 54

That score is all right for a R9550.
    For reference, my friend's rig (an Asus Radeon 9550 GE, AMD Sempron 2500+,
    2x256MB DDR400) gets 2213 points.
  3. kodrutz

kodrutz TS Booster Posts: 107

Your score is great as it is, for your system configuration.

The ones with scores like 7-8000 also spend 2-3-4times the money that you've spent on your video card.
  4. legolas52

legolas52 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Is there anyway to optimize my pc before starting a game?
  5. kodrutz

Well, there are some...

1. Close all useless applications running

2. Defragment your hard drives

3. Use a tweaker for your video card and maybe modded drivers

This is it for now...good luck!
  6. Mazza558

Mazza558 TS Rookie Posts: 35

I've found that you don't need to do that if you've got about 1GB of RAM. I ran 3dmark (various versions) with firewall, defrag, antivirus, news alerts, MSN, opera and i got exactly the same score as with nothing running.
  7. kodrutz

Believe's better to run with only your clothes on than with 50kgs on your back!

And be aware that benchmark scores are one thing, and real life/games performance is another. They are related, but don't rely too much on 3dmark scores.
  8. legolas52

legolas52 TS Rookie Topic Starter

What tweaker/modded drivers do you reccomend for my ATI 9550 256 mb.
  9. kodrutz

I suggest using ATi Tray Tools. Get it here

Of course if you google for 10-15minutes some other tools will rise, some of them really good, but I've been using ATT for a while and I find it perfect. Also, no need to install the "big" ati drivers, those including the ati control panel, when you have ATT.
  10. Mirob

Mirob TechSpot Paladin Posts: 462

You can overclock your 9550 to it's max, then games and 3d mark will be better.

I've even read about unlocking a 9550 to a 9700. You need to solder a resister on, google can find it.
  11. Vaerilis

Vaerilis TS Rookie Posts: 54

There is no 9550 to 9700 mod.
    A few years ago, the 9500 pro cards with L-shaped memory and the proper PCB could be turned into 9700s, but the 9550 is absolutely different (it's more like a 9600).

For overclocking purposes, ATI tray tools (as recommended above) and Rivatuner are both good choices.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.