my Acer TravelMate 4603WLCi died. power supply failure?

By dhaninugraha
Oct 7, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a few hours ago, my mom brought home a brand new Acer Travelmate 4603WLCi laptop. after connecting the AC adaptor to the laptop, I turned the thing on. it worked just fine, and the Acer ePower Management software showed 33% battery power and still charging.

I was playing Solitaire back then, only for like 20-30 minutes, when suddenly the laptop just died. plain died. without shutdown.

so I turned it back on, and it went back on. only for like a few seconds after the Windows XP splash screen showed up, it died again. this time, I can't turn the thing on again.

I checked the adaptor cable that connected to the laptop, it's plugged firmly. however, the 'battery charge' lamp did not lit. I disconnected the adaptor cable, tried to turn on the laptop, it didn't work. I tried removing the battery, re-installing it, then tried turning it on again, also didn't work.

so I re-plugged the laptop to the adaptor, and thought that it'd charge up. but after 3 long hours of (useless) waiting, it's still not showing any signs of life.

I assume that this is a power adaptor failure, because when you connect the adaptor to the laptop, the 'battery charge' light is supposed to lit and you should be able to power-on the laptop. but hey, if the adaptor fails, aren't I supposed to be able to power-on the laptop by just the battery?

well, that's all I can tell for now.
    thanks in advance for any advice(s) given.

cheers!
  2. franziskaner12

franziskaner12 Newcomer, in training

Acer Travelmate 4603WLCi laptop shut down

Hi Dhaninugraha:

The situation you described back then, now looks quite familiar to me.

The same happened to me last night. My Acer Laptop just died, just as you described. I did all the things which are common things to try to make it back working again...NOTHING !

How did you back then solve the problem. Did you find out what the failure was?

I would really appreciate any help you can provide.

Best,

franziskaner12
  3. dhaninugraha

dhaninugraha Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

hi there franziska,

the day after my laptop died, I brought it to the authorized Acer Service Centre, where they REPLACED my laptop with a BRAND NEW unit, at NO COST at all! when I asked what the problem is, they just told me 'dead-on-arrival', and... I'm just happy with the new unit, which works fine up until now... :)

I personally suggest that you bring your to the service center too, especially if the warranty's still valid...

cheers!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.