My computer automatically turns off and restarts itself! hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there, I need a hand because this is really startin' to annoy. I turn on my computer and even when I don't do anything after a while (this various from a couple of min to a day) the thing restarts or turns itself off (most of the time).
Got some problems with spyware, got rid of it.
Had some missing DLL, found them, but where to place? Is this it?
Is it my power or cooling?
I really got stuck in this, so please, who got some leads for me?

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI KT3Ultra
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ MHz Boxed, 1.32 GHz 256 MB RAM
HD: Maxtor 40GB Liquid
Graphic card: Club3D ATI Radeon 9000 Pro
Power: Antec ATX 350Watt
Windows XP / SP2

With the power supply that you have (350W) that shouldn't be the problem but what i think is it is a heat problem you might want to look into that, check in the bios setting for you temperature right after the computer shuts down. You might need a better heatsink or more fans in your case

That CPU should run around 1.67GHz, check the mobo- or BIOS-settings. It is underperforming, which may cause instability.

"Clocked at 1667MHz, it achieves this speed using a 133MHz fsb combined with a 12.5x multiplier (12.5x133.3 = 1667)"

AMD has locked mulitpliers on XP chips to 11. You will have to keep adjusting your FSB until you find a sweet spot. I have a MSI MB right now and I kept playing with the FSB until I found a high enough one that was stable.

I suggest downloading motherboard monitor and check you temps. AMDs run real hot. Get an oversized heatsink with a cooling fan. Use arctic silver paste on your chip. I have ran my newest built 2500+ XP chip for 5 days now. It runs stable at 71' F. I have a lot of fans in my case. 1 blowing in, 2 blowing out.

AMD says for most XP chips, they will burn out at 85'F. So watch it. I tested my chip with DOOM 3 and it never got hotter than 74.

But your rebooting sounds like your FSB is off, mine kept rebooting. I kept a log of FSB adjustments in BIOS. Everytime it went unstable I notched it a rack down.

I'm running at 2.04 ghz right now. It has remained stable.

TnX a lot you all

I've been away for a while, I just couldn't stand it (hehehe)

I'll start at the top. Gettin' my computer nicely fanned I think.

TnX again and let you know for sure. Sorry for the late reaction.

Robalan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back