TechSpot

My Computer Can't See USB HDD

By greg_2243
Sep 7, 2005
  1. I recently purchased a USB external hard drive as a supposedly easy way to add storage to my laptop. To the point. I cannot see the drive letter in My computer or Windows Explorer. It is visible in Device Manager. It is also visible under Administrative Tools and Computer Management. I configured it according to Disk Management under Computer management. It has been formatted also. I would be very appreciative of any help or suggestions. Thanks

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Do you see the assigned drive letter in Disk Management? Could it be overlapping with your network drives or something similar?

3. greg_2243

greg_2243 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Reply to Nodsu

Yes, the drive is visible and assigned a drive letter in Disk management. I don't know what you mean by "overlapping with my network drive"

4. Nodsu

Do you have any other drives with the same letter?

What happens when you forcibly open the drive? (Start->Run, put in "e:\" or whatever your drive letter is)

5. greg_2243

Reply to Nodsu

When I use the Start,Run process you suggested, it opens right up just like any normal drive and allows me to do whatever I want. I had never thought of trying that and it surprised me that it opened up.

6. Nodsu

Try hitting F5 in any explorer window to force it to refresh and hopefully fix the drive list there.

7. greg_2243

Reply to Nodsu

I hit F5 and the screen flickered while it updated but still didn't show the drive.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.