My computer corrupts downloaded installers

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbo93

I am always downloading new programs, just mucking around seeing what i can learn, but basically 95% of the large installers that i download always end up being corrupt.

I just tried to download Microsoft Expression Web 2.0 Beta and when i opened the self extractor, it began to extract then reached one cab file, stopped and just gave a message saying file is corrupt, this also happened when i tried to download Corel Draw and Microsoft Expression Media.

I really don't know what the problem is and i really don't feel like formatting the computer, is there anything else besides a virus that can do this.

PS: My mobo is wrecked, but i don't have the money yet to buy a new computer, so i'm stuck with this for now...

Any help is appreciated.

I have some possible suggestions, but don't know that they'll work. Goto Start->Run->msconfig and disable everything but your antivirus and printer. This helped me back in the times of windows 98 when I had a similiar problem of a startup program that worked with windows 95 and after a while stopped working with windows 98. Also, something may be wrong with your internet connection in that you may be receiving corrupt data. I know there are various error checksums that are received, but try powering down your modem (and router, if used) and repowering them. Also, if you want to test it with a small download, try dialup. www.netzero.net will give you 10 hours of free dialup per month. Just connect your phone line to your computer modem. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back