My computer crashes on every browser I use!

Hello..I am in need of some help! I have a hp 523w running xp home edition. IE8 is so slow at loading so i tried google chrome, opera and mozilla fire fox. When trying to play games on facebook, sometimes i get a message saying that shockwave is unresponsive, or that the plug in has stopped responding or my computer just freezes up. I downloaded secunia and it said it fixed alot of errors and patches, but the computer was running so slow i uninstalled it. Any suggestions? I went to microsoft and did the "fix it" and it says nothing is wrong with my computer and i have all updates installed that microsoft said i needed. Any help is welcomed!! Thanks in advance!! ;-)

How much RAM do you have?

Web site says it comes with 512 MB standard, upgradable to 1 GB.

Did you add graphics card, or are you using the onboard video?

My guess is that you don't have enough horsepower under the hood to run Flash heavy sites.

re: HELP!

Your correct on the ram. The problems just started last week, up until then everything was fine. Upon doing more research, i have found i am not the only one with the problem using facebook games. I was just trying to see if there was anything i could do on my end to fix it. Thanks for your help.

You could try updating the video drivers. I think this is the correct link for the ones you have in your computer.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Desktop+graphics+controllers&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+82845G+Graphics+Controller

I also know that recent Adobe Flash updates were supposed to offload some of the workload onto the GPU, so if you're not running the latest version of the software, that might help. Go to the Adobe web site and see if there is a new version available.

Of course the problem could just as well be that newly updated drivers or software are causing it not to work now, do you recall any updates around the time it stopped working?

Back