My Computer/Explorer Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
What up guys,

Weird problem I'm having. Whenever I open My Computer the flashlight/folder icon just appears and thats it. Nothing else happens. The other problem I'm having,that I assume is related, is whenever I need to browse for a file and I switch folders in a drop down menu the explorer window just freezes and the program stops responding. I looked at Microsoft's help file on this subject but, of course, nothing works.

XP Home.

Hey,

Usually caused by a corrupt ntuser.dat file in your profile.

Only way to fix this is to delete the ntuser.dat file - however, this would completely wipe your profile.

Best way to test, is to create another user account and log in with it - see if the problems go away.... if they do - bite the bullet and blow your profile away

ntuser.dat is located in C:\Documents and Settings\*profile name*

As the ntuser.dat file is an active file, you will have to delete it logged in as another user.

Once you have deleted the ntuser.dat file, all you have to do it log back in and it gets re-created.

If you want to be extra safe and are unsure if this will fix your problem - just rename it (ntuser.OLD)rather than delete it.... then you can always revert back.

Alternatively - this could be the network connection poll problem:

Disconnect any unused network connections in Windows Explorer.

Let us know how you get on....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back