"My Computer" folder freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have beed expiriencing this problem for a couple of days now. A week ago I formatted my PC and afterwords installed all needed components including Service pack 2.

Now for some reason My Computer folder is starting to hang whenever i try to access it. But it doesn't happen immediately after i log-in on my PC. If i leave my PC idle then go on it after say 15 minutes the "my computer" folder hangs and when i try to end task it won't go and the start bar from the buttom of my PC vanishes for some minutes. Then it eventually appears again but still many of the programmes are jammed...all because i tried to access the my computer folder.

Can someone please help. Is this error deriving from the service pack 2????

Do you run Norton Internet Security? Recall seeing threads on other boards recently about similar problem. Try turning it off.. If that doesn't work, try removing (assuming you have everything to reinstall should you choose). Give a holler to let us know that helps or no

yes I run Norton AntiVirus and I also run Norton Personal Firewall and this is the first time i installed the later on my PC.... never tried that before.

Try uninstallin the firewall by itself first.

If you want, before doing that uninstall... find the logfile the firewall keeps (I'm guessing there must be one where it reports on firewall activity including what things it blocked

Look at the current time on computer. Do whatever it is that hangs My Computer. then open the firewall logfile and see if / what events are listed around that same time

If firewall is the culprit (and can very well be) good chance you might see exactly type msg is being generated by you touching My Computer which is subsequently blocked by the firewall.

nortons is a virus in itself, biggest pile of foo doo i've ever used.
I had a similar problem to you, but it seemed like my problem was explorer related. If your Nortons trick doesn't solve it, i'll try digging back into the solution i found and post it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back